amount of CYA in trichloro granules

I finally opened my pool. I added 3 - 182oz jugs of bleach (all that I had). I have about 30 lbs of the OPTIMUM Chlorinating Granules (from wal-mart or lowes made my aqua-chem) left over from last year before I started the BBB. Since my CYA values are 0 (or 9 according to the pool store), I thought that I might use the Chlorinating Granules until my CYA values go up.

According to chem geek, raising FC 10 ppm also raises CYA 6 ppm. Is this relationship for any trichlor? or is it just for the tabs? or the available chlorine?

The granules are:
Active Ingredients:
trichloro-s-triazinetrione 71.8%
Boron sodium oxide pentahydrate 8.0%
Other Ingredients:(clarifier/filtration enhancer/sunlight protector 20.2%
*Available Chlorine 65%

I guess that I could use them and test the CYA each week, but to me, the CYA test if the hardest to read.

That relationship holds for any Trichlor product regardless of concentration or of pool size, BUT the product you show says it has 20.2% "clarifier/filtration enhancer/sunlight protector" so it is possible that the "sunlight protector" is additional pure CYA. In the worst case, if that was 20.2% pure CYA, then for every 10 ppm FC you'd get 6.1+6.1*20.2/71.8 = 7.8 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.