Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: amount of CYA in trichloro granules

1. Back To Top    #1

amount of CYA in trichloro granules

I finally opened my pool. I added 3 - 182oz jugs of bleach (all that I had). I have about 30 lbs of the OPTIMUM Chlorinating Granules (from wal-mart or lowes made my aqua-chem) left over from last year before I started the BBB. Since my CYA values are 0 (or 9 according to the pool store), I thought that I might use the Chlorinating Granules until my CYA values go up.

According to chem geek, raising FC 10 ppm also raises CYA 6 ppm. Is this relationship for any trichlor? or is it just for the tabs? or the available chlorine?

The granules are:
    Active Ingredients:
    trichloro-s-triazinetrione 71.8%
    Boron sodium oxide pentahydrate 8.0%
    Other Ingredientsclarifier/filtration enhancer/sunlight protector 20.2%
    *Available Chlorine 65%

I guess that I could use them and test the CYA each week, but to me, the CYA test if the hardest to read.
    21K gallon, 16 x32 IG Vinyl, 3/4 HP Hayward Superpump,
    200 lbs Sand filter, Full sun all day

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: amount of CYA in trichloro granules

That relationship holds for any Trichlor product regardless of concentration or of pool size, BUT the product you show says it has 20.2% "clarifier/filtration enhancer/sunlight protector" so it is possible that the "sunlight protector" is additional pure CYA. In the worst case, if that was 20.2% pure CYA, then for every 10 ppm FC you'd get 6.1+6.1*20.2/71.8 = 7.8 ppm.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks chem geek. After playing with the pool calculator, and seeing how much the trichlor affects not only CYA, but also pH, I don't think that I would save that much money using the trichlor I already have.
    21K gallon, 16 x32 IG Vinyl, 3/4 HP Hayward Superpump,
    200 lbs Sand filter, Full sun all day

4. Back To Top    #4

You are right. As described in this old post Trichlor actually costs more than chlorinating liquid or bleach or Cal-Hypo when one accounts for the chemicals needed for pH adjustment (even using Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda which is less expensive than pH Up).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"