New Here

May 18, 2011
Hello,

My name is Tracey. I have been back and forth between this site and PoolSolutions for several days, reading and trying to learn as much as I can.

I have had my pool (approx 8200 gal above ground) since 2006 and always relied on the pool store to tell me what to do and it always seemed like I was buying one chemical after another. I decided to try it myself this year. I'm off to a very rocky start.

Using test strips and AquaChem website, somehow I ended up with CYA through the roof. I am trying to drain but can only drain a little at a time by backwashing and vacuuming to waste. After 2 days it looks as if my test strips are still reading around 100 on CYA. I plan to drain more this weekend.

My water was crystal clear during the first 2 days of draining and my chlorine levels were also off the charts on the strip, so I did not add any during this time. I have also decided I'd like to try BBB. I added one gallon of bleach last night thinking the water wasn't looking as clear and the chlorine levels appeared to be coming down.

I am also concerned about the effectiveness with the CYA so high. My water looks worse today and maybe a little green around the liner so I panicked and added 2 more gallons of bleach tonight. I really have no idea what I am doing and I know I need an accurate testing kit so I ordered the Taylor k2006 kit tonight. Don't know how long it will take to get here, but I will gladly take any advice until then.

Thanks

Welcome to TFP, Tracey!

CYA testing is not highly accurate, so sometimes you drain a bunch of water and then test at the same level as before. To expand the range of your CYA test, dilute a pool water sample with an equal amount of tap water, and then test that and double the reading. That will give you a better idea of where you stand.

Even with high CYA, you can keep the pool clear. The amount of chlorine you'll need to maintain sounds high, but due to the protective effect of the CYA, the effective level is much lower. Use the Chlorine CYA Chart to see where you need to maintain your chlorine.

Read Pool School and ask questions! A good article to start with is ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

You'll be amazed how easy it seems after you get a handle on it. It's not complicated, just a lot of new stuff at once.

Thanks for your replies. I have not gotten my kit yet, so I broke down and took a water sample to the pool store so I could try to get an accurate reading on my cya. Of course I was also told I needed 10 lbs of calcium hardness. I wouldn't have bought it except she said it would protect my liner. I only put in about 7.5 lbs. I have only had my pool 5 years and the liner is looking pretty bad already and was thinking it might need replacement but I am trying to at least stretch another year out of it. Without my kit, I am not really sure what I am doing, so I am just guessing and using test strips. I'm noticing my ph has gone up pretty high, almost to the top of the strip test. Did the calcium hardness do that? Also, I'm not sure I'm shocking with the right amount of bleach. Can someone give me an estimate on a 8000 gal pool since I do not have my kit yet? Also how often? I'm letting the pump run 24/7, but last night I attached my lil shark (is it okay to use that while shocking?) I also brushed the entire surface yesterday. The water appears to be staying pretty clear but by morning there appears to be some sediment on the bottom. May just be dirt or pollen. Thanks for your help!

Vinyl liner pools have no need for calcium.

Adding calcium does not change the PH appreciably. Very high FC levels can cause the PH test to read higher than actual.

How often you need to add more chlorine depends on what your CYA level is and if there is any live algae left.

What were your test results from the pool store?

Oh I am sorry, I meant to post that. First, the lady seemed very reluctant to give me actual numbers. I had to ask several times just to get her to tell me my cya which she said was 78. She said my TA was high, Chlorine levels were all good, and Ph was good. Other than that she just wouldn't give numbers. Since then, I did a partial drain again to lower the cya and won't know the actual numbers until I get my kit. I am guessing I only drained about 10-15% of my water since I only drained by vacuuming to waste.

If your water is still relatively clear you should be fine. If FC comes down from the highest reading on your test strips you can add more bleach, but I don't think that is likely to happen.

Normally you should be adding around one quart of bleach a day. But you added so much yesterday, that you shouldn't need any more for a couple of days. That is assuming the water is more or less clear. If the pool is murky and full of algae what you need to do is different.