I want to start the BBB method but....

May 18, 2011
Brandywine, MD
I have a good bit of left over chemicals from last year. A full bucket of 3" tabs and a couple boxes of powder shock....And hate throwing stuff away.

Sould I just bite the bullet and not use that stuff or is it ok to use it up instead of bleach while incorporating the use of Borax and Baking Soda?

BTW, great site, still reading and awaiting the arrival of my K2006 test kit (been using the cheapy strips but have learned they aren't that great apparently).

Cheers,
Marc

Welcome to TFP!

It all depends on your levels. If CYA is already high, you don't want to use trichlor tablets, which add more CYA. If CYA is low, then using trichlor could work well until CYA gets up to more reasonable levels. Depending on which kind of powered shock you have that are similar issues, as most of them add something else along with chlorine.

Thank you Jason. S glad I found this board.

This morning, according to my highly accurate strips, I'm sitting at about 30-50 on CYA. (FC 3, pH 7.2, TA 110ish). Perhaps I'll continue with my tabs/powder until the good test kit arrives, which should be a few days...

Thanks again.

Welcome to another Marylander!!

I use a hybrid method for my pool. Since I have to partially drain and refill to winterize (I imagine that you do too), I don't have a lot of trouble with CYA build up until late in the season. Here's what I do-

When I open my pool, I adjust TA and pH to get them into appropriate range.

I use bleach to shock. (You could use the shock powder you have on hand to use it up)

I chlorinate with 3" tabs until my stabilizer gets to the neighborhood of 40 to 50. This happens somewhere around late July. I then switch to all bleach.

When I go on vacation in July / August / September, I use pucks so my housesitter doesn't have to deal with the pool. Since I left my CYA a little low deliberately, it doesn't hurt to use the pucks for a week or three late in the summer while I'm on vacation.

The key is to read and UNDERSTAND the chemistry behind pool school. Then you can use up what you have. Or call me, I'll come get it and use it for you!

Two great posts so far this AM.....one from johnvb and this one from wmshay6. These folks have got BBB all figured out. :-D

They are not graduates of Pool School, because no one ever graduates, you just keep learning. However, I am going to suggest that they get moved to the FRONT ROW of the class. :party:

Be careful up there in the front.....if the Mods catch you talking in class or acting up, they'll quickly replace you with a newbie!! :shock: :shock:

Just to chime in, I do pretty much like WM does. I keep all the different chlorine sources on hand; bleach, cal-hypo, pucks. After a wet winter CYA and CH will be low, so I can use pucks until CYA is in range, and use cal-hypo until CH is in range. Then I switch to bleach. In the heat of summer I sometimes switch back to pucks or cal-hypo since storing bleach in 100 degree weather is difficult since dear hubby does not like all that in the house and the garage is hotter than outside.
This winter was not particularly wet and this spring is totally dry so the CYA and CH are in range still from last year, so I'll be using bleach all year I guess.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.