Temp filter setup

Apr 21, 2010
Pool was flooded (again - solving that separately). Very dirty with dirt, mulch, etc.

My de filter won't hack it. Clogs up way too fast. Found a s220t sand filter and a 3/4 hp superpump online for 300 bucks like new.

Bought it and set it up poolside to clean the pool.

After a few hours of assembly got it running. Problem is that the water coming out just doesn't look that clean. How clear would you expect the water coming out to look?

I was hoping to let this sand filter run for a few days to get me to a point where I could run both my de and the sand.

Also what would you expect the pressure gauge to read after backwashing?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305764838.522579.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305764838.522579.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 129
Flooded
aefcd49e-64c8-00c5.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305765007.537916.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305765007.537916.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 131
Hard to say. Some systems can run very low around 6 psi and some up around 20+. However, most people report something like 12-15 psi as an average.

I have filtered pond water into my pool and it isn't perfectly clean on the first pass. You probably also have some algae growing in there which is causing some of the coloring you are seeing.

What are your test results? Have you started the shock process?

I have a very similar pump filter combo and would expect the clean PSI somewhere around the 18 range, but like duraleigh said, every filter/pump combo is slightly different.

duraleigh said:
Hard to say. Some systems can run very low around 6 psi and some up around 20+. However, most people report something like 12-15 psi as an average.

I have filtered pond water into my pool and it isn't perfectly clean on the first pass. You probably also have some algae growing in there which is causing some of the coloring you are seeing.

What are your test results? Have you started the shock process?

No test yet. Super Bleached a few days ago but havent looked at chemicals - I will tomorrow. The pressure is running around 6-8 clean. I deeded to fire up the de as well tonight. I'll run em both overnight and see how things go.

Gotta pick up some bleach tomorrow and start testing. Had it crystal clear just before this only two days after opening. Pain in the butt.

Guy I know was pushing floc pretty hard but I'd like to see if this works first. This happened once before and we tried to floc it with little success.

Floc in a pool with live algae (and it looks like you have that) is virtually worthless. YOu need to get your pH tested and then start the shock process. I believe you are trying to filter an organic laden body of water....it wont work well. YOu need to kill the organics and then filter them out.

Read "how to Shock your Pool" in Pool School

duraleigh said:
Floc in a pool with live algae (and it looks like you have that) is virtually worthless. YOu need to get your pH tested and then start the shock process. I believe you are trying to filter an organic laden body of water....it wont work well. YOu need to kill the organics and then filter them out.

Read "how to Shock your Pool" in Pool School

I'll focus on that tomorrow. Thanks.

Sand filters don't catch all of the small dust particles. For a very dirty pool, I would expect the water coming out of the filter to be cleaner, but not clean.

If you post a full set of water test results, we will be able to make some more specific suggestions.

Tested water this morning. It's a mess. :)

No chlorine, almost no CYA. PH was in ok range (7.2). Did not test alkalinity.

Sand filter ran overnight and stayed at pressure of 6-7. DE filter ran and as expected was 6-7 over when I woke up. Bumped and backwashed and left them on when I came to work.

Going to pool store now to pick up some CYA and bleach. Even though I realize that I'm not helping the algae problem until the chlorine is introduced properly, I figured it was worth continuing to filter to try to get more dirt out. There is a LOT of dirt in this pool right now - more, I think, then when this has happened in the past.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The sand should only be part of the way up. There there usually 12" or more of space above the top of the sand. Chances are there is the correct amount of sand in there already.

All the filtering in the world won't help until you kill the algae.

I get that about the algae and I'm dealing with it separately. However the pump pressure is at 6 and not changing after 16 hours of filtering basically pondwater and the filter water is just as dirty coming out.

Maybe there is something wrong with the filter?

Tough to say as it takes a while for PSI to rise in a sand filter, but if your focus is on clearing the pool, you'll want to start the shock process.

iPad version. :)

Pool was in terrible shape. Tried filtering for a few days with little in the way of apparent results. Turned everything off on Saturday. On Monday decided to floc. 3 containers. Used a hose sprayer to apply it evenly over the pool. Expected signs of success within hours but didn't see many. 24 hours in could see stuff accumulating a few feet down. Not like a sludge - more like a dark cloud a ft or so deep. Waited one more day. Next day it was a little deeper and slightly more defined so decided to vac to waste. Took about a foot or two of water out. Then shocked and ran both de and sand filters for two days using bottom drain and a hose to near the bottom drain. Returned water only to shallow end. After day one could make out pool bottom in shallow end and see a few feet deep in deep end. Next morning (today) could see drains on deep end. At 2:00 came home to the picture above.

Saw more storms on the way (and no drain built to avoid this until next week) so built a dam around the pool with water bags. :). Holding up so far but lots of rain ahead through tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.