Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Floating Krete

1. Back To Top    #1

Floating Krete

I had poolkrete installed, first time the shallow end floated up...he reinstalled and it happened again. In the first case it rained before the pool was filled, which is what he stated the problem was. The second time, the pool was full. Any one have this happen and/or a possible cause?
    drplt

2. Back To Top    #2
    I presume you are talking about under a vinyl liner? I can't see how anything on the bottom of a full pool could float unless you have some serious slope issues to allow the groundwater to be under higher pressure than the pool. Either way, the problem is groundwater not being drained from the pool excavation, and is an installation/design issue.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Doesnt sound good!
    drplt

4. Back To Top    #4

I have an idea or 2 but little time tonight, I'll keep my eye on this and offer some advice in the next day or 2. 8)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5
    I'll keep checking back and appreciate any help/ideas!
    drplt

6. Back To Top    #6

Do you mean the vinyl liner is floating? Water under the liner?
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-
    20x40 Free Form Gunite (3'-8'), 26,000 G, AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generator SC-48, Aqua blue pebble sheen, Textured Sundek, Pentair Easy touch with remote control, 1hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Max-E- Therm heater 333k BTU, System 3 Mod Media Cartridge filter, and Polaris 380 cleaner with booster pump

7. Back To Top    #7
    To clarify.
    1. The poolkrete was laid down by what was believed to be a professional.
    2. Both times, after the pool was filled, the poolkrete apparently broke.
    3. CHUNKS of poolkrete are now floating under the liner where water has apparently started to pool and push the krete/liner towards the surface.

Thanks again everyone!
    drplt

8. Back To Top    #8

I told you that I have an idea or 2 and 'by golly' I'm actually following through

We install a goodly number of pools each year and I've noticed that when the pool crete has troubles it's almost always due to the 'sub strata'. If you had lots of rain before the 'crete went down, there was probably a lot of 'squishy' mud underneath - that won't hold up! The 'squishy' stuff sould have been removed and gravel, or some other low compaction material used to fill those areas. The trouble I'm having with your problem is that you say that the crete is floating - this stuff isn't bouyent , you'd have to have a river running under the floor to dislodge the crete upwards
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

9. Back To Top    #9
    Hi FP, sounds as if they had some pix, they could give more/better info! You can go to PhotoBucket.Com and load your pix there. These folks can help you, but they like details! Good luck.

Joyce
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!