Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Poolpilot going crazy?

1. Back To Top    #1

Poolpilot going crazy?

Noticed my water was looking a little odd today, so i went out to check the Poolpilot and saw the red light was blinking - Purifier Off, Check Flow. So i turned the system off, pulled out the dirty union screen, cleaned it, then turned it back on. Light still blinking - 'Low Amps - Check Cell'. Ran the test pool pilot and it came back saying 2800ppm, ~29v, .8amps. Turned everything off, opened up the panel, all look ok. Closed it up, turn it on and turn it on Boost (it was already at 100%, so i dunno if that did anything) - but i go back inside, come out 20 minutes later and now it tests at 27v, 4.5amps, but is saying I need to add 250lbs of Salt as my Salt reading is 0ppm. Checked/Re-seated all the connections, looks fine, but the Purifier is still off and it thinks i have no salt.

Had my water tested over at Pinch, came back at ~ 3000ppm salt, all the other levels looked fine, but has 0 chlorine.

Any idea what might be going on here?

9000 Gallon Pool
    Cell is probably 3-5 years old (was installed in 2005-2006 by previous owner, not sure how many cells they went through).
    SC-36 Cell
    11000 gal 12x24 inground. Vinyl with 1hp pump and sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Poolpilot going crazy?

The first thing to do is to carefully check the cable from the tri-sensor to the main unit. Make sure it is not cut or badly crimped and that the connector at the control unit is solidly connected. Then take a look at the cell plates, and check to see if there is any white crusty stuff on the plates. If so the cell needs to be cleaned. Finally, power down the control unit, and turn it back on again and see if that helps.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick reply!

Actually before I read what you wrote (I was just outside messing with it), i pulled the front cover off again and pushed it back in so it was flush against the wall (it wasn't fully seated earlier). No idea what that did, but its now working at 100% with no error messages and it says the Purifier is on with 2800ppm salt.

Is the outside cover somehow a ground or something? I dont see why it would make things work again, or was this just random luck?

4. Back To Top    #4

I suspect that it was actually fixed when you reseated the connections earlier, but it took it a while to "find it's way back to reality" from where ever it went before
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    I suspect that it was actually fixed when you reseated the connections earlier, but it took it a while to "find it's way back to reality" from where ever it went before
    lol, thanks!!

Now to kick this mustard algae problem