Replacement for a Sta-rite max-glas motor

May 17, 2011
West Michigan
I am needing to replace my 1980's model sta-rite max-e-glas 1 hp (SF 1.55) motor w/square flange. I would like to go with a similar model in a dual/2 speed motor.

Could someone recommend some current 2 speed models that will bolt up to my existing pump?

Should I stay with Sta-rite?

Is it possible to get a larger high speed and keep the low speed the same?

Or would it be more cost effective just to purchase a new pump/motor assembly?

Sorry for all the ??'s :oops:

Thanks! :cheers:

Quick update - I just received a call from the pool company that opened the pool (and discovered the seized motor). The service person informs me that I cannot just switch out a single speed motor to a 2 speed motor using the same pump. Is this correct?

If so what are some recommended brands of pumps with 2 speed motors?

Also what are some recommended online sites for purchasing pumps?

That is very wrong. It's not an issue at all to change a single speed motor to a 2-speed motor. You don't have to change anything but the motor. It prudent to change the shaft seal but not because it requires a different size.

What type pool do you have?

If it's an inground the Whisperflo's are highly thought of.

Bama Rambler said:
That is very wrong. It's not an issue at all to change a single speed motor to a 2-speed motor. You don't have to change anything but the motor. It prudent to change the shaft seal but not because it requires a different size.

What type pool do you have?

If it's an inground the Whisperflo's are highly thought of.

Whew! Thank you Bama!!

I have a 18' x 36' in ground cement pool with a 5'x5' inground spa.

If I do not need to change out the pump itself should I stay with a sta-rite replacement motor or will a Whisperflo bolt right up as well?

Also any online source suggestions??

Bama Rambler said:
Any 56 frame motor of the same high speed hp matching your's will bolt right up. Make sure you get the same voltage too.

So if my current motor is 1 hp then that is the max high speed rating I can go correct?

Any recommendations on 56 frame 2 speed motors with a speed switch? Or is this available?

Thanks!

What you want to look for is something that equals 1.55 SFHP. You get that by simply multiplying the HP X the SF. In other words, as long as the SFHP equals or slightly exceeds 1.55 you're good to go. (I.E. you could get a 1.5 hp motor with a 1.0 SF and that'd be fine.)

Bama Rambler said:
What you want to look for is something that equals 1.55 SFHP. You get that by simply multiplying the HP X the SF. In other words, as long as the SFHP equals or slightly exceeds 1.55 you're good to go. (I.E. you could get a 1.5 hp motor with a 1.0 SF and that'd be fine.)

I.E. you could get a 1.5 hp motor with a 1.0 SF and that'd be fine.

Would this give me better suction when vacuuming?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just a note - for the 2spd function to work, a compatible timer or manual switch will have to be used as well. Otherwise, your old Instamatic timer (assuming that's what it has) will only turn on and off one speed.

Vac power will be the same on Hi with the same rated total HP motor... Flow is dependant on the speed of the impeller, not the motor driving it.

Thanks for the input!

I found a Hayward Max-flo complete 1.5hp pump set up for basically the same price I was quoted for a replacement motor for my current pump.
http://www.sunplay.com/Hayward_Max_Flo_Pump_SP2810X152_p/sp2810x152.htm

Any thoughts on this model?

Also would it benefit me to step up to the 1.5 hp pump/motor if I decide to replace the entire pump?

As for the switch. Can I wire up something as simple as a toggle switch to switch speeds?

Bama Rambler said:
If you buy a new 2-speed pump it should come with a switch. If not, it's an option. I wouldn't go to a bigger pump.

I've searched just about every pump manufacturer and have yet to find a 2-speed pump with a switch. Does anyone know of one that I am overlooking? If not wouldn't a simple toggle switch rated appropriately work?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.