Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The poolcleaner questions

1. Back To Top    #1

The poolcleaner questions

Can I run the poolcleaner pressure model off a 3/4 return or is that a no go? I have a jacuzzi attached to the pool with a return that powers the waterfall, thats an inch to 1 1/2 inches, could I run it off of that and just have the hose hang over the waterfall?

My other option is the suction cleaner but I don't have a suction port, so then my skimmer is inoperable, how do people deal with that? do you just disconnect it after it finishes cleaning?

i read hayward has an auto vac switch thats expensive, is that the only option?
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The poolcleaner questions

You can just plug a suction side vacuum in when needed, and unplug it and remove it from the pool when not in use. In general your not going to want it in the water when the pool is in use anyway, so plug it in, let it do its job, when the pool is clean unplug and the let skimmer, skim.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

The manual for the poolcleaner pressure side says "no 3/4 restrictions" and needs around 25gpm to work properly - so you may be SOL on the pressure side model.

I previously had a suction-side model plugged into one of the 2 skimmers, then added a 'pooldevil' skimmer to make sure the pool got enough skimming. Worked very well.

With both vacs, I've sledom bothered taking the vacuum out of the pool.
    33k Gunite, CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, Sta-Rite System 3 DE, 2.25hp dual-speed, POOLVERGNUEGEN Pressure-side

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by acroy
    The manual for the poolcleaner pressure side says "no 3/4 restrictions" and needs around 25gpm to work properly - so you may be SOL on the pressure side model.

I previously had a suction-side model plugged into one of the 2 skimmers, then added a 'pooldevil' skimmer to make sure the pool got enough skimming. Worked very well.

With both vacs, I've sledom bothered taking the vacuum out of the pool.
    yea, I saw the pool devil, but thats another thing sticking out of my return, so not sure I like that route.

I have a larger return out of the jacuzzi, I think it would probably work on that. just really don't like using my filter, I prefer using external bags.

I know you can get an inline canister with a bag, but none of those seem to have filter bags, just mesh bags.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Inline canister would be a good solution - it'll catch the big stuff, let your cartridge catch the fines.
    33k Gunite, CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, Sta-Rite System 3 DE, 2.25hp dual-speed, POOLVERGNUEGEN Pressure-side

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by acroy
    Inline canister would be a good solution - it'll catch the big stuff, let your cartridge catch the fines.
    is there a canister that will catch the fines as well, the people who plumbed my pool did such a great job that if the filter gets slightly dirty, the jacuzzi doesn't work. usually I end up taking the filter out so i can use the jets.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have the same problem. I want to replace my old Ray Vac which is no longer doing its job. After reading reviews on this site, I was ready to order The Pool Cleaner. I downloaded the manual and read the plumbing requirements, went down to mt pool and s***, there is a 3/4 outlet. Another problem is if I want to use a suction side model the skimmers are on the end of the pool which is 41 feet. The return for the cleaner is in the middle. This is very frustrating.

I have 4 returns including the cleaner. Filter is rated at 144 gpm. Should I have the necessary volume then 144/4? Or is that a maximum volume?
    35K gallon plaster IGP, free form, spa with spill-over; Sta-Rite 2HP pump; KDI American 48sq.ft., 144GPM DE filter; Pentair MiniMax heater; pressure side The PoolCleaner; Circupool RJ45

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by mrhappye
    I have the same problem. I want to replace my old Ray Vac which is no longer doing its job. After reading reviews on this site, I was ready to order The Pool Cleaner. I downloaded the manual and read the plumbing requirements, went down to mt pool and s***, there is a 3/4 outlet. Another problem is if I want to use a suction side model the skimmers are on the end of the pool which is 41 feet. The return for the cleaner is in the middle. This is very frustrating.

I have 4 returns including the cleaner. Filter is rated at 144 gpm. Should I have the necessary volume then 144/4? Or is that a maximum volume?
    I have a customer with a similar problem - 1.5" from the pad to the wall, and at the wall they put in a 3/4" threaded fitting for the RayVac (GRRRRR). I had to get the 3/4" to 1.5" adapter (Polaris makes one) - and his PoolCleaner 4WPS works great. I love it.

However, standard disclaimer applies, and your mileage may vary...
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by taekwondodo
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhappye

I have a customer with a similar problem - 1.5" from the pad to the wall, and at the wall they put in a 3/4" threaded fitting for the RayVac (GRRRRR). I had to get the 3/4" to 1.5" adapter (Polaris makes one) - and his PoolCleaner 4WPS works great. I love it.

However, standard disclaimer applies, and your mileage may vary...

Thanks for the reply. I hooked up a short segment of hose to the pool cleaner return and measured the output. I have approximately 13 gpm at 15psi at the Jandy Energy Bowl since the pressure release valve on The Pool Cleaner is 15psi. The requirement is 25 gpm. That seems like an awful lot. I would have to have to divert all the water to that line. Am I SOL?
    35K gallon plaster IGP, free form, spa with spill-over; Sta-Rite 2HP pump; KDI American 48sq.ft., 144GPM DE filter; Pentair MiniMax heater; pressure side The PoolCleaner; Circupool RJ45

10. Back To Top    #10

If I divert more water to the pool cleaner line, the Jandy Energy Bowl pressure gauge reading will go over 15psi. Perhaps the pressure will drop off again at the 1.5" diameter of the adapter, allowing a greater volume without exceeding the 15psi before the cleaner release valve. Your customer should have had the same problem, I don't think the physics would be any different. Do you know what the Jandy Energy Bowl pressure gauge reading is at your customer's pool? I want to make sure this would work before ordering the TPC, disclaimer withstanding.

11. Back To Top    #11

I ripped out the JEF, and re-plumbed the cleaner return on the "south" (return) side of the filter. IMHO, the JEF is a waste of money - half your water bypasses your filter, causing you to run your pump 2-3x longer in order to get the same effective filtration. Anyways, going over 15PSI isn't going to hurt you on the JEF, all it is going to do is bypass more water from being filtered.

- Jeff
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)