calcium hardness

First post after many weeks of reading the forums and pool school, what an amazing set of DIY resources! One variable I didn't commmit to memory was CH. Unfortunately the girl at the pool store sold me on "hardness up" because "if I kept itat my current level (40ppm) it would damage the hardware." She then insisted that washing soda would lower my pH...

Just to make sure, low CH would contribute to any mechanical failures or cause the pool to be cloudy, correct?

We're on day 7 of modified BBB (using liquid 12.5% from the pool store because it's cheaper and they reuse containers), and we went from pond scum to seeing the shallow end 4' deep. The daily regime of holding shock while scrubbing continues, while waiting for my Taylor kit to arrive. My wife is loosing hope, as we've plateaued at a cloudy slightly green the past few days. All we have are test strips, guessing my way to keeping it over 10ppm (pool store tested our CYA at 20). Fingers crossed.

mikewren said:
Just to make sure, low CH would contribute to any mechanical failures or cause the pool to be cloudy, correct?
Low CH levels are just fine as long as you have a vinyl liner pool and no tile work or stone work below the water line. There is no risk to the equipment and no chemistry or water feel problems. The only reason to add CH would be if you have a warranty still in effect that requires CH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.