Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 15% liquid Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

15% liquid Chlorine

Went to the local Ace Hardware to inquire about the percentage of their liquid chlorine I got the deer in the headlights look. I went back later to see the owner/manager about the same question and he said it was 15%. As I was walking away he said it was the same as everybody else sold. I know of no pool store in my area that sells 15%. I buy 10-1/2% at Pinch-A-Penny. My guess is that his is 10-1/2% but how would you know? If he is correct and he is selling 15% I have hit the jack pot but then again how do I know? Is there any way to test the percentage?
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 15% liquid Chlorine

The percentage will be listed on the label. It's possible that it's 15% if it's very fresh but not likely. It leaves the plant around 16 to 18%.

Testing concentration requires very precise measurments, or special instruments which isn't usually worth the trouble. There's a way to dilute it and test it but it's not very precise.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

There are ways to measure the concentration but in practice it is easier to add it to the pool and see what happens that way.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I have not bought any so I don't know what the label states. It's just amazing to me that folks don't know details of what they sell. Their price is about 1 dollar more per 2-1/2 gallons than Pinch-A-Penny but with Pinch-A-Penny 45 minutes from the house and 3.75 gas Ace (in my backyard) is a better deal even at the same percentage. Thanks for the replies.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.