to shock or not on opening

Diver

May 5, 2011
South of Boston
I want to apologize in advance for asking so many question in my short existence on this forum :oops: I’m just trying to be prepared for different scenarios before opening the pool and be ready upfront and not to figure out how to deal with consequences of lack of knowledge later.

What is the general consensus on shocking at opening and if it needs to be done? My water is still below 60 degrees and looks kinda ok-ish. Chlorine levels are either non-existing of extremely low. I understand that if I have a dead opossum in the pool or if the pool is all green, then I don’t have a choice but to shock. But if it seems somewhat ok, then do I follow the general guidelines for shocking – CC more than 0.5, overnight drop is 1.0 or less? The criteria for shocking also includes FC being at zero, but I assume this is more relevant for regular maintenance time, not the opening.

Or should I shock it anyway?

Thank you.

Here's what I did and what I recommend everybody do. Opened the pool and ran a full set of tests on the water. I brought the FC up to the proper level for my CYA and performed the OCLT. It passed, so all I had to do was keep the FC where it needed to be and adjust the other stuff.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.