Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: to shock or not on opening

1. Back To Top    #1
    South of Boston

to shock or not on opening

I want to apologize in advance for asking so many question in my short existence on this forum I’m just trying to be prepared for different scenarios before opening the pool and be ready upfront and not to figure out how to deal with consequences of lack of knowledge later.

What is the general consensus on shocking at opening and if it needs to be done? My water is still below 60 degrees and looks kinda ok-ish. Chlorine levels are either non-existing of extremely low. I understand that if I have a dead opossum in the pool or if the pool is all green, then I don’t have a choice but to shock. But if it seems somewhat ok, then do I follow the general guidelines for shocking – CC more than 0.5, overnight drop is 1.0 or less? The criteria for shocking also includes FC being at zero, but I assume this is more relevant for regular maintenance time, not the opening.

Or should I shock it anyway?

Thank you.
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: to shock or not on opening

Add some chlorine to bring it up to what your cya level requires when you open and see how it goes. You may be just fine with that water temp at the moment.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

Some people will tell you to do it, others will say it is a waste of money. Overall it is a personal choice, betting the odds, etc.

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4
    SouthWest Alabama

Here's what I did and what I recommend everybody do. Opened the pool and ran a full set of tests on the water. I brought the FC up to the proper level for my CYA and performed the OCLT. It passed, so all I had to do was keep the FC where it needed to be and adjust the other stuff.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit