New House...New Pool Owner

Apr 19, 2011
Hi! I was here some time back with an above ground pool. I've since moved from that house to a new house with a much larger in ground pool. Other than the size of 32' x 14' x 4.6' I have no idea what type of equipment I have or how to use it. Where would you suggest I start? Pool company come out and give me to run through or perhaps I should get guidance here?

I've been testing water everyday since we moved in and the FC and PH are good. I don't want it to turn green on me so I need to figure this out in a hurry. The house also came with a hot tub and I no clue about that except how to turn it on (and the chemical smell is so strong it makes my eyes water).

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP!

If you post some pictures of your equipment we can tell you lots of things about it.

Do you have a full set of water test results from a pool store? Posting that will allow us to give you specific recommendations on what to do.

Welcome back.

You can start by checking out the visual encyclopedia and matching the equipment in there to yours. Or, you could post a few pics of your equip and we'll make some guesses.

If you're more comfortable you could hire a guy (or girl) to come out and go through it all with you and then you'd have a hand to hold. take plenty of notes if you go that route.

We're also more than happy to hold your hand but we realize that long distance hand holding is different.

My camera died but so far I see an automatic chlorinator, a 1 1/2 hp pump, another smaller pump and a big filter but can't tell if it's sand or not. Very large Black container that comes apart at the middle with a pressure gauge on top that is at 15. Two timers (one for the pool the other for the Polaris vacuum...I think). The polaris comes on for about 2 hours each evening and I believe the pump is coming on once in the morning and once in the evening for about 3-4 hours each time. FC and Ph are still good at this point and the pool is sparkly. From what I remember the previous homeowner telling me, there is also a heater attached to this system to adjust the pool temp. I'll get a pic of that as well. I'm afraid to touch anything but would assume I'd have to shut everything down to check the tabs in the chlorinator? How often do I have to fill it and with how many pucks? I know you need pics and numbers so I'll try and get those this evening. I have the T100 (or something) kit that I purchased through here a year or two ago. Thanks in advance.....

If the filter comes apart in the middle it's most likely a Cartridge or D.E. filter.

To add tablets, it's usually a good idea to shut off any valves to the pool just to keep the water from draining out of the system.

cindyspool said:
I have the T100 (or something) kit that I purchased through here a year or two ago. Thanks in advance.....

Welcome back to TFP :wave: Post up some test results from both the pool and the Hot tub and we'll try to see what's going on.

Those numbers don't look too bad but your FC is way too low for your CYA unless you have a swcg.
Your TA's a little high unless you're still using that tablet feeder. If you are still using that tablet feeder your CYA is too high and you'll have to keep a sharp eye on it. Partial draining is in your future.

Keep signing in with this account.

Like bama said, I would stop the use of pucks before your CYA gets too high. Bring your FC up to around 5-7ppm and then keep it there all summer using liquid chlorine instead of the pucks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.