Newbie to bbb, with test numbers and a few questions

jaydub

May 18, 2011
central florida
I inherited a green swamp, and found this board through a google search.. Read pool school, got myself a taylor 2600 equivalent, and got her pretty much cleaned up. Current numbers are,
fc=11
tc=.5
ph=7.4
ta=100
ch=250
cya=45

I added some shock from walmart before I found these forums(3 weeks ago). I am currently in the "comedown" of a bleach shock, which I maintained around 26 until things cleared up.I have also added borax per the pool calculator to increase ph., whichwas low but now seems to be stable.

Water looks pretty good, except for a few dull black spots in the deep end, roughly 2ftx2ft, that are dulling with time and brushing. I have yet to find any info on what these may be.In addition, there are several "rusty" spots from a few dichlor pucks I threw in out of desperation before I had a clue. Also, there is a chaulky white "dust" on the bottom of the entire pool, that I understand may be residual from the walmart shock.I am wondering, however if it may be related to the age of my old pool, although the plaster appears to be in decent shape to my untrained eye, with the exception of a few small places where a couple of small divots are missing near the skimmer.

As for my skimmer, there are two threaded holes. One is capped, one is open. The open one apperently is the pickup for the pump. Does the other connect to the floor drain? if so, can I remove the other for better circulation? there appears to be a cap on the actual drain as well.

Im looking for guidance on my numbers, and insight on the white dust on the bottom.

Thank you all for a wonderful resource, and all the time and knowledge that must have been invested to make this sight available to all.

Welcome to TFP!

Your numbers look reasonable. Your CH is on the low end of the range, and your pH could be a touch higher, but the pH will probably climb over time.

The dust could be many things, including the shock.

Your skimmer should remain plugged. When the skimmer and drain have their own plumbing back to the pump, the second hole is plugged.

Well, they don't look so bad. Infact, I can't even see them! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sorry for my irreverence....the pics didn't post. Post right back if you have trouble getting them online.....we'll all help! :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.