Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Reading Borate Test Strip

1. Back To Top    #1

Reading Borate Test Strip

Ok so what is this reading? Looks like maybe 50? This is after adding all but 8 lbs. of what the Pool Calculator said to put in. When I tested before I put ANY in the test was the same reading? Matter of fact every test looks like this! I hate test strips!
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Reading Borate Test Strip

Looks like 30-50-80 to me. I hate test strips too! So I'm going with 53.3333! there! How's that for an answer?

Just funning folks.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

LOL...I should be good! A little short of the calculators estimate. I think it's 50 but like I said all 4 tests I've done have been the same!
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

4. Back To Top    #4

Ugh! How annoying!

It makes me want to run home and test my bottled water, my tap water, and then the pool.....

It looks to me as if you have a jar of LaMotte's strips, and they are considered to be a good name. Any chance that the strips aged/got compromised somehow, so that now they aren't working well?

Lana
    23,600 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 2 hp variable speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.

5. Back To Top    #5

Just bought them 2 weeks ago with my Tf100 test kit. I'll look and see if they have a born on date. They are LaMotte.

6. Back To Top    #6

Fortunately the borate level only needs to be approximately right.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Looks like 50-80, but the photo isn't great for that sort of thing. You can always test tap water to see what 0 looks like on the test patch.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

Check my math on this, but wouldn't 3 teaspoons of borax in a 5 gal pale be 80 ppm? If so it could be used as another calibration point.
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft

9. Back To Top    #9

I get 2.7 teaspoons in 5 gallons for 80 ppm. Remember the error on measuring teaspoons is going to be fairly large.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School