Opening Pool for First Time

TerryT

Apr 17, 2011
I have decided to save money this year by opening the pool myself. I can handle the chemicals, cover cleaning and removal, etc. My questions are about the plugs and the filter. I don't want to break anything!! I talked to the pros about just doing the following but it only saves me $50.

Once I have the water to the proper level, I know that I need to remove any plugs. Where will I find these?

Then, I need to turn on the filtration system. I see that I need to prime the pump and get any air out of the filtration system before starting it up. Can anyone help me out here? I have a Hayward Vari-Flo Valve and Pro Grid DE Filter if that helps...

Then I think I'm good to go with adding chemicals after about 12 hours and making sure everything is balanced.

What type pool do you have?

Here's what I can think of and I'm sure others will add to it.

1) Replace any drain plugs/caps that are open.
2) Replace any piping/equipment that's been removed.
3) Remove plugs in the skimmer(s)
4) Remove plugs in the return(s) and replace eyeball fittings.
5) Make filter ready for operation, (Replace cartridges, Clean and reassemble DE filter, Set sand filter to recirc. etc.)
6) Fill Pool with water.

Most of the stuff should be obvious. Just look around the pool and equip pad. It should stand out if there's a plug missing or something plugged off that should be open.

Look in the pump strainer basket. Most times they'll put drain plugs, etc. in there.

Welcome to TFP!!

Bama's got you well covered :cool: If you're worried about messing something up, hire a reputable company to open the pool this year (schedule it for when you will be home and watch what they do and ask them any questions you have - make notes so that you'll be able to do it yourself in the years to come). I assume the $50 savings is for pulling off the cover yourself.

We are more than willing to 'hold your hand' and walk you through the opening but you should only do it yourself if it's within your comfort level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.