Inground Pool not used for 3 years, is full of leaves, etc

May 13, 2011
Should I drain my inground 16 X32 rectangular pool to be better able to clean out 3 years of leaves and debris? Leaves and I am not sure what else are thick and the water is black and the vinyl liner is stained. I welcome any suggestions. Thank you.

Re: Inground Pool not used for 3 years, is full of leaves, e

Welcome to TFP!

If you drain it, you will most likely have to replace the liner. I guess it depends on the nature of the debris. A pool leaf rake and patience can get a lot of stuff out. The staining on the liner will probably fade over time with proper chlorine levels.

I would avoid draining if at all possible. Scoop out as much of the leaves and debris as possible with a leaf net. Inspect the plumbing and equipment and get the pump running. Take a read in pool school about clearing up a pool. It will take some patience and a bunch of bleach, but you'll be swimming in no time.

It depends somewhat on how much stuff is in there and how wet the surrounding soil is. It is far safer if you can scoop out the material with a pool leaf rake. Draining can cause the liner to wrinkle, shift or "float" if the water table is high. That said, if you have a mountain of leaves in the pool, scooping them out may not be an option.

Have you tried scooping to get an idea of how much stuff is in there?

I just opened our pool which had been closed for 20 months, with a ton of leaves, pine cones, small branches, frog remains, etc. on the bottom. Took me roughly 2 weeks using the BBB method, now the water is crystal clear.

Daily, I used a "leaf bagger", the vacuum attachment/bag that goes on a pole and uses a garden hose for power that pushes the debris into the attached net. At first, I could only see/vacuum the shallow end. As the water slowly cleared, I would brush the deep end stuff into the shallow end, to vacuum again. At times the pool would turn a bluish color, but after brushing it would go green and crappy again. I usually gained about a half a foot or so, of visible depth per day.

After the first week, I doubted my progress, but eventually by doing the above, and constantly maintaining the proper shock level, I was able to see the bottom of the deep end well enough to vacuum it.

You need to get the solids out of the pool as soon as possible. Once I was able to clear the debris from the deep end, in just a few days, the pool cleared right up.

johnvb,

That is a VERY informative and insightful post. You used common sense to slowly remove the solids and then chlorine to sanitize and kill the organics. Constant filtering removed the finer particles and you now have clear pool water.

That is a very good overview of the things required to clear up any pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.