Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Draining my pool to rid algae!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Draining my pool to rid algae!!!

I a over the algae! I decided to drain and start over. How long will algae live without water? I am getting ready to bleach the walls and steps! Any advise?

2. Back To Top    #2

Northeast Ohio

Re: Draining my pool to rid algae!!!

The algae is going to come back quickly if you don't maintain a high enough level of chlorine in the new water. If you haven't already drained the pool, my suggestion is to post a full water test and get some thoughts first. Rarely is draining a pool to control algae the right answer.
    32x16 ft Grecian rectangular vinyl pool 8ft on deep end - 19000 gal. 18" Hayward S-240 sand filter. 250K BTU Pentair MasterTemp heater. Hayward 3/4 HP Super Pump.

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Indiana

The risks of draining the pool are fairly high, especially this time of year. It is very easy to clear the blackest, nastiest water in just a few days with the information in these articles:

Defeating Algae

Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Shocking Your Pool
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

I am draining only to the deep end. How long does it take to kill algae if it is not in water. I have mustard algae.

5. Back To Top    #5
    SouthWest Alabama

If you're not draining it completely, you're not really helping yourself. The amount of algae left in there will overtake any new water you put back in there almost immediately. You're better off properly shocking the pool with it full unless there's some other reason to drain the water (e.g. high CYA). You'll lose circulation when the water gets that low and that won't help your cause either.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Repeat, there can be risk of damage to the pool from draining. What sort of pool do you have, above ground or in ground?

Is there any debris in the deep end now? One of the first steps, after a good water test, is to clear all debris from the pool.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.