Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fastest way to add large quantities of CYA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Fastest way to add large quantities of CYA?

My CYA levels are currently 0. According to the Pool Calculator, I need to ~7 pounds of stabilizer (I'm using 100% Cyanuric Acid granules).

Right now I've pour a bunch of in to a sock and dropped in in my skimmer, but seems like that could take days to add 7 pounds worth of the stuff.

Is there a faster way to add the granules?
    22,000 gallon vinyl in ground with Hayward S244T sand filter and Hayward 3/4 hp Super Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fastest way to add large quantities of CYA?

There is liquid, but it's pretty expensive. 1 gallon puts 30 ppm into 10,000 gallons of pool water. But it runs ~$30 a gallon.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    There is liquid, but it's pretty expensive. 1 gallon puts 30 ppm into 10,000 gallons of pool water. But it runs ~$30 a gallon.
    I had to buy $40 worth the the granules for this go around, so sounds like I'd need about $60 worth of the liquid. For the time saved no having to keep going out and refilling the sock, sounds like it might be worth it.
    22,000 gallon vinyl in ground with Hayward S244T sand filter and Hayward 3/4 hp Super Pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

There's really not any reason to hurry. I personally prefer putting it in a sock in front of a return. The return blowing water on it seems to dissolve it fairly quickly. If it takes a few days to get the full amount in there, it's not going to make that much of a difference. I wouldn't spend the extra money on the liquid either, for the same reason.

Just put it in the sock, let it dissolve and add more when it's empty. Caring for the pool is going to take some patience.

-- Pete
    32x16 ft Grecian rectangular vinyl pool 8ft on deep end - 19000 gal. 18" Hayward S-240 sand filter. 250K BTU Pentair MasterTemp heater. Hayward 3/4 HP Super Pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

+1 what loughps said.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Gotcha. So could I use 3 socks (one in front of two different returns and one in the skimmer)? I was thinking it had to go in directly through the skimmer, but sounds like it doesn't.

7. Back To Top    #7

I use it. It's expensive but its less fuss. The granules are cheaper, but I figure my time is worth something. I really dont want to mess with that sock stuff and have it hanging on my pool deck. But then again I'm not tight with a dollar usually
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

You can use as many socks in as many places as you like. One in front of each return and in the skimmer (if that doesn't restrict your water flow) is fine. Some people like to massage the sock occasionally, which can help it dissolve more quickly, but it's not necessary to do that either. You can just put the socks in and let the CYA dissolve on it's own.

After 24 hours, treat your pool as if the CYA is all in there. It may take a week for it to fully register on the CYA test and you don't want to add too much.
    32x16 ft Grecian rectangular vinyl pool 8ft on deep end - 19000 gal. 18" Hayward S-240 sand filter. 250K BTU Pentair MasterTemp heater. Hayward 3/4 HP Super Pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

The sock technique in front of a return is great. If it's a cheap sock, you come back to a pool full of granules and an empty sock. Been there, done that.
    19.5k gallons in ground, P4 panel with turbocell SWG, 1hp Hayward superpump II, sand filter, Heater low nox 250k btu heater, solar cover on rocky roller

10. Back To Top    #10

When I add CYA to an old T-shirt in the skimmer with the pump running 24/7, it's usually all dissolved overnight unless I'm adding a lot in which case I split my doses so it takes just a couple of days.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

11. Back To Top    #11

I just added 5 pounds using two old stockings me wife gave me. Each holds 2 1/2 lbs. They are long enough to hang from the deck in front of each return. Mostly gone after a few hours.
    44 x 20
    33,700 ga
    Hayward 1HP pump
    Hayward inline clorinator
    Sand filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Shpigford
    Is there a faster way to add the granules?
    Hey Shpigford,

Fellow Alabamian here! Just hang it in socks in front of the returns and if it's not dissolving fast enough to suit you "massage" it a little after it's soaked a while. That'll get it going a little faster. I use an old poly hunting sock. It's a little thicker and I will probably hold up better.

Good Luck,

What's your water temp?

Dega
    27' Diameter Above Gound Pool, approximately 15,000 Gallons (erected 5/12/2010)
    26” Blue Ball Baquapure Sand Filter (new sand as of 5/12/2010)
    Dynamo 1 HP 2 Speed Model# 340204
    Simpl Chlor Cholrine Generator

13. Back To Top    #13

So... the real question is which would you rather afford? The liquid stabilizer to get the CYA up ASAP, or the chlorine you'll be losing to UV while waiting on the granular CYA to fully dissolve.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

14. Back To Top    #14

I have 3 skimmers that I have skimmer socks in. I put a third of the CYA I need into each of the skimmers and its gone within 24 hrs.
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft