Gorilla Pad

Candi

Jun 23, 2010
Our new pool will be 18' x 34'

Gorilla pad comes in 18 x 33 or 18 x 44

I suppose I should spend the extra for that one extra foot that I need? The prices go from about $120 for the smaller and $155 ish for the larger.

Looks like it comes in 18X33 and 18X40. If so then I'd go with the 18X40. It needs to be one solid piece and if you buy a short one you'll always notice it. It's especially important if your using it to prevent nut grass from penetrating the liner.

Not so much for nutgrass, more for the feeling and hopefully less footprints in the sand over the years. The nutgrass protection is a bonus that hopefully we wont need.
Oh, well, I'll just go bigger.

Another topic, but is there a preference for self stick coves over snap in coves? The self stick are actually cheaper, but I'm willing to pay more if it is much easier/better. I really need to order this stuff today. We are planning on installing memorial day weekend.

I've watched a friend install Happy Bottom, it comes in pieces that are spliced together. It felt ok in the pool, but I just liked what I heard about the Gorilla Pad and was extremely happy with it when it was delivered. One piece sized to your pool, VERY cushy, stretchy/strong. I have horses and it reminded me of felt saddle pad material. It went in like a dream and let me tell you it really feels great in the pool. Glad I did it.

HotShot53 said:
Out of curiosity, why did you select Gorilla Pad over Happy Bottom? I am getting a pool and haven't decided what padding to get, but was leaning toward happy bottom...

Because I like that you don't have to tape the seams together. I have heard of people that could feel the seams, and others said they had issues with it coming apart. Plus anything that would make it a little easier on my DH is a good thing.

I don't know how common the seam issues are, but if they are going to happen anywhere, they are going to happen in the frozen north. So, just decided to go with gorilla pad.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We had a sand base from our initial install of this pool, but when we put in the gorilla pad, foam wall and foam cove, we removed almost all of the sand, leaving just a really thin layer. The Gorilla Pad is thick and too much sand will make it stick up too far.

Does anyone know if you can use Gorilla Pad in a round AG pool with a dished center? I am due for a liner replacement soon and would like to use this and foam cove instead of sand. But I'm not sure if it will pucker when i try to install it in the dished out center.

The other option is to just replace the pool I guess with a 52" depth and avoid the dished center.

We dished one end of the pool. The pad is larger than the pool size by a bit and stretchy, flexible. If you dont have drastic level changes it should follow the contour smoothly, ours did.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.