Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gorilla Pad

1. Back To Top    #1

Gorilla Pad

Our new pool will be 18' x 34'

Gorilla pad comes in 18 x 33 or 18 x 44

I suppose I should spend the extra for that one extra foot that I need? The prices go from about $120 for the smaller and $155 ish for the larger.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gorilla Pad

Looks like it comes in 18X33 and 18X40. If so then I'd go with the 18X40. It needs to be one solid piece and if you buy a short one you'll always notice it. It's especially important if your using it to prevent nut grass from penetrating the liner.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Not so much for nutgrass, more for the feeling and hopefully less footprints in the sand over the years. The nutgrass protection is a bonus that hopefully we wont need.
    Oh, well, I'll just go bigger.

Another topic, but is there a preference for self stick coves over snap in coves? The self stick are actually cheaper, but I'm willing to pay more if it is much easier/better. I really need to order this stuff today. We are planning on installing memorial day weekend.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the self stick and it's definitely easy to install. If they're cheaper I'd go with that.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Go with the self stick. Ours went in perfectly. You will love the Gorilla Pad
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

6. Back To Top    #6

Alright, gorilla pad and cove ordered.

What is the proper way to install a gorilla pad. Did you put any sand down first? How much?

7. Back To Top    #7

Out of curiosity, why did you select Gorilla Pad over Happy Bottom? I am getting a pool and haven't decided what padding to get, but was leaning toward happy bottom...
    18' x 38' x 52" oval AGP with 6' deep end (foam on the walls, preformed coving, and Happy Bottom floor padding)
    Pentair Optiflow 1 HP 2 Speed pump
    Pentair cc200 cartridge filter
    Pentair UltraTemp Model 110 BLK 108,000 BTU Heat Pump
    2 Intex SWG's (copper unplugged)

8. Back To Top    #8

I've watched a friend install Happy Bottom, it comes in pieces that are spliced together. It felt ok in the pool, but I just liked what I heard about the Gorilla Pad and was extremely happy with it when it was delivered. One piece sized to your pool, VERY cushy, stretchy/strong. I have horses and it reminded me of felt saddle pad material. It went in like a dream and let me tell you it really feels great in the pool. Glad I did it.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by HotShot53
    Out of curiosity, why did you select Gorilla Pad over Happy Bottom? I am getting a pool and haven't decided what padding to get, but was leaning toward happy bottom...
    Because I like that you don't have to tape the seams together. I have heard of people that could feel the seams, and others said they had issues with it coming apart. Plus anything that would make it a little easier on my DH is a good thing.

I don't know how common the seam issues are, but if they are going to happen anywhere, they are going to happen in the frozen north. So, just decided to go with gorilla pad.

10. Back To Top    #10

I plan to use the gorilla pad too. Can I ask where you purchased it from?
    14.6K gal., 24ft, 54" above ground. 2HP, 2speed Hayward pump (4psi low, 18psi hi), 150sqft cartridge filter. 4x20 solar panel (6 psi).

11. Back To Top    #11

We had a sand base from our initial install of this pool, but when we put in the gorilla pad, foam wall and foam cove, we removed almost all of the sand, leaving just a really thin layer. The Gorilla Pad is thick and too much sand will make it stick up too far.

12. Back To Top    #12

Does anyone know if you can use Gorilla Pad in a round AG pool with a dished center? I am due for a liner replacement soon and would like to use this and foam cove instead of sand. But I'm not sure if it will pucker when i try to install it in the dished out center.

The other option is to just replace the pool I guess with a 52" depth and avoid the dished center.
    24' Round Doughboy AG.
    Usually filled with 3 kids, the wife, and occasionally the dog.

13. Back To Top    #13

We dished one end of the pool. The pad is larger than the pool size by a bit and stretchy, flexible. If you dont have drastic level changes it should follow the contour smoothly, ours did.

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks- did you order a size larger to give some room for the dish? Or did you order the size spec'd for your pool?
    24' Round Doughboy AG.
    Usually filled with 3 kids, the wife, and occasionally the dog.

15. Back To Top    #15

Go with a larger size, you can trim excess

16. Back To Top    #16

I was thinking of the happy bottom cause I figured it would be easier to get it in a deeper end. Would the gorilla pad fit in a 4' shallow to 6' or so deep end?
    18' x 38' x 52" oval AGP with 6' deep end (foam on the walls, preformed coving, and Happy Bottom floor padding)

17. Back To Top    #17

Why not?

18. Back To Top    #18

because it's all one piece intended for flat above ground pools I didn't think it'd do the slopes so well... obviously the one piece would be easier to install, as long as the slopes work

19. Back To Top    #19

Happy Bottom isnt intended for slopes either

20. Back To Top    #20

I know, but I've seen at least one picture from someone who cut happy bottom to fit the slopes and taped it together that way. You can always cut and tape things to make them fit, but I didn't know that gorilla pads would stretch/bend to fit without major problems