Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rusted Diving Board anchors

1. Back To Top    #1

Rusted Diving Board anchors

This was the first year I took my diving board off for the winter. When I tried to take the base of the diving board off I noticed all 5 anchors were rusted almost all the wat through. There doesn't seem to be any problems with the base or the board. My question is can I grind down the existing anchors and put new ones in or do I have to have that piece of cement cut out and repoured with new anchors in the cement? Here is a picture of the anchors.
    Last edited by norbie; 07-28-2016 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Delete Attachment
    Norbert
    23,000 Gallons; 16 X 32 w/ 4 X 8 Steps; Vinyl Liner; Hayward EC65A DE Filter; Hayward 2607X10 1 HP Pump; Hayward CL200 In-Line Chlorinator;
    Bromine; LOOP-LOC Winter Mesh Safety Cover; Aquabot Supreme Automatic Robotic Cleaner;

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rusted Diving Board anchors

You can grind down the anchors and put in new ones, however if you do that you will need to move the diving board at least a few inches.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Any suggestions as far as anchors?
    Norbert
    23,000 Gallons; 16 X 32 w/ 4 X 8 Steps; Vinyl Liner; Hayward EC65A DE Filter; Hayward 2607X10 1 HP Pump; Hayward CL200 In-Line Chlorinator;
    Bromine; LOOP-LOC Winter Mesh Safety Cover; Aquabot Supreme Automatic Robotic Cleaner;

4. Back To Top    #4

There are lots of places that sell them on the Internet, for example these people.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Three things I find disturbing:

1) The wrong studs were used. Can you say Stainless?
    2) No bond wire!
    3) Never remove the dive stand for winter except when you find this type of condition found. It stresses the hardware and the mounting points and exposes the studs to weather needlessly.

I personally would never trust new anchors without them being set in a new, thick, reinforced pour. There is a LOT of stress, quite capable of pulling out unexpectedly. I would cut them flush and paint them to match the deck color to prevent rust stains.

Many pool professionals insurance policies, mine included exclude anything and everything except removals when it comes to dive stands. Think the insurance companies know something?

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thats exactly what I as thinking PoolGuyNJ. The only reason I removed it was due to the anchors. Now I'm considering replacing the board and stand also.
    Norbert

7. Back To Top    #7

How would one remove a diving board with base in cement completly, they poured around base. Angle grinder or some special industrial saw? Thanks

ps whats a bond wire, will i get shocked if cut?
    25k I/G ecostar ccplus Polaris plaster

8. Back To Top    #8

Don't know about removal but the bond wire is to prevent you from being shocked. You won't get shocked by cutting it, but there is a possibility of getting shocked if you don't have it attached.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    Three things I find disturbing:

1) The wrong studs were used. Can you say Stainless?

Scott
    My board has steel studs also, not rusted like that (yet). I thought the same that stainless would be better for corrosion although the steel may be stronger if they are grade 8. Is stainless used often? seems like it would be standard. Steel is what SR Smith supplied with the board.

I sprayed mine with cold galv especially where they enter the cement, also coated them with never seize before the nuts were applied. I also made some special nuts from 1 1/16" stainless hex that are extra long with a blind thread so no water can touch the top of the stud, looks better than little plastic caps covering the extra threads.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.