replacing ancient Teledyne Laars and changing location

Hi all: This 30 year old Laars 175BTU gas heater has blown a gas valve so it seems logical to replace entire heater. Over the years the heater has been inside my pool utility room but I continue to have trace residual scent of partially burned gas that (probably) travels through joist spaces and I've decided NOW is the time to move location of heater outside. This will cause a certain amount of re-plumbing. There's an attendant SPA in this system and always before it's just one trip to the pool utility room to shift valves and turn up the heat when I want the spa hotter. So now I wonder:
1. what's my best choice for high efficiency, dependable heater?
2. Since I have to shut off main, switch valves around and then adjust heat do I use remote controls for all that since the heater will be relocated outside and all other plumbing + pump inside. and 3. Is there an optimum remote control system I should use?
Thanks for opinion/advice. Next week I'll ask about the best to resurface these silly (flawed) Hallmark vinyl pool wall panels..... :)

This is only my opinion but I wouldn't move the heater. The new heaters are much more efficient and have much better combustion systems than a 30 year old unit. I don't think you'll have an issue at all with unburned fuel. The only thing I'd consider doing, if you don't already have one, is installing a vent in the equipment room. I don't have a recommendation on the brand or model of heater but if you're basically happy with the size of the current one I'd stay in that range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.