Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new numbers

1. Back To Top    #1

new numbers

We got the water sparkling clear in our intex pool...but there are several...LOTS of spots on the bottom where there are little dips..I guess where sand has sunken in and the liner lays into the sunken part, and algae is clinging to it for dear life. Also, it stayed green for so long thru winter in to spring, that from the bottom edge going up the sides is stained from algae and very "sandpaper" feeling. I have brushed and brushed. The bottom and sides cloud up the water, then I run the filter all night and its clear the next morning. I shocked it tonite and will see how it looks. But my question is, is there an easier way to scrub the liner??? I have arthritis in my hands and tendonitis in my shoulder..so brushing a 24ft round pool is not easy for me. I feel like I'm getting no where. I made the kids get in over the weekend and told them to just rub the bottom with their feet to help rub it loose too. I feel like just buying a new pool.
    Julie

Atlantic Pool Products "Prestige" metal wall pool 18' x 48" round
    vinyl liner
    Hayward Power Flo pump
    Hayward Perflex DE Filter Model EC50AC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Theres GOT to be an easier way!!!

Post your pool chemical numbers so we can see what is going on with your water.

FC:
    CC:
    TC:
    PH:
    CH:
    TA:
    CYA:
    Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

3. Back To Top    #3

The only alternative to brushing is to get a cleaning robot of some kind, but they are not inexpensive.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Please do as crook suggested and post the #s. I'm thinking the 'sandpaper' feel is calcium depositing on the sides

With a 'moon surface' bottom, you'll need to manually brush those divots to keep algae away
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

had to order a few refills to get some numbers for ya'll. As soon as I get them, I'll be able to post numbers. Until then, I'll keep brushing as much and often as I can and try to keep my chlorine up.
    Julie

vinyl liner
    Hayward Power Flo pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Many people on this forum swear by the wall whale brush being less strenuous to use while still cleaning well and moving lots of water.
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

I bought the Wall Whale Brush and it works GREAT on the walls, but is a PITA on the floors (where Julie's problems are). Maybe I wasn't using it correctly, but I bet there's a reason it's the WALL whale brush
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

I haven't had trouble with it on my floor...YMMV I guess
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

Touche! It's probably MY ineptitude :P
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

10. Back To Top    #10

When you shock, are you using a powdered shock product, or some sort of liquid chlorine? I ask because that powdered shock product is likely cal-hypo which will add CH to the water which will build up over time if you are not replacing water. Or even if you are if the replacement water is high CH.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

11. Back To Top    #11

I had/have the same exact problem, I found a pretty effective way of clearing out the divots. My wife got in the poll with a pool brush, I stood outside with the vaccum pole. She told me where to put the vac, and I sat it there on the bottom but on it's side with the intake to the vac head facing her. She then used the pool brush to brush out the divots and push the stuff directly toward the vac head and it sucked it right out so it didn't cloud up the water and resettle into the divots. Worked great!

12. Back To Top    #12

Burnsy..pretty good idea! I just wish the bottom wasn't so BIG around!!! Will post a pic later...but here are my numbers...refills came in today:

TC 0
    pH 7.8
    CYA less than 20
    TA 140
    CH 320
    Julie

vinyl liner
    Hayward Power Flo pump

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Some years ago, someone here posted something for a round AG pool I thought was ingenuous.

They said the whole family gets in the pool and "runs" around the outside all in the same direction as fast as they can go. This creates a circular motion which brought virtually all debris to a small center spot where it could be easily vacuumed.

Make something for the kids to eat that is not "good for you" and they'll probably keep it clean all summer!!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

yep, they usually do that! LOL I just need to shock the **** out of it and have us ALL get in there and start scrubbing all the divot areas. Just not looking forward to it. Tried on my own and its just too much area for one person to cover without it taking DAYS to do.
    Julie

vinyl liner
    Hayward Power Flo pump

15. Back To Top    #15

Added what I had left of liquid chlorine which was 6 gallons of bleach. Did a chlorine test and it raised up to 5. No where near enough for shock level. Will get more bleach tomorrow. At least it has some chlorine in it...even though it won't last...its better than nothing. Already told the kids we are ALL getting in it this weekend and to be prepared to SCRUB and vacuum!
    Julie

vinyl liner
    Hayward Power Flo pump

16. Back To Top    #16

here are two pics taken today. don't mind the leaves...those are from this mornings thunderstorm. Didn't think we'd have a pool left with golf size hail in town. but we were spared. there is fresh algae growing I can see..but I'm talking about all the darker areas.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Julie

vinyl liner
    Hayward Power Flo pump

17. Back To Top    #17

I have a similar issue with the 'pockets' on the bottom from shifted sand beneath the liner. A redo this year won't happen despite that it's gotten worse.

I've yet to find a good brush myself. One recommended two years ago for vinyl didn't last long. Bristles fell out and ended up in my filters.

What I've done in the past is put socks on my feet and hands and work the bottom and walls that way. Works pretty well and white tub socks are cheap.

This past winter I purchased a Libman wringer mop with two of the heads that are cloth strips for my kitchen floor. Love them, they are machine washable. I've decided to sacrifice one of the mop heads to see if it works being out of the water, rather than in it. We'll see how it holds up.
    22 ft octagon, inground, 4 ft ave depth - figured @ 11,400 gallons, well water
    Steel walls with sand bottom and vinyl liner : under full sun
    Harmsco Betterfilter w/14 paper cartridges
    1 hp Hayward motor

Baqua to Chlorine in 2010.

~Wisconsin~

18. Back To Top    #18

Re: new numbers

here are my new numbers tonite...had the kids in the pool all afternoon scrubbing while i was at work. Got home and changed out the DE in the filter and shocked the heck out of it at sundown.

FC 19
    CC 2.5
    TC 21.5
    TA 130
    CH 370
    CYA 0

What do I put on my agenda tomorrow beginning at what time? I guess I'll need to vacuum to waste first??
    Julie

vinyl liner
    Hayward Power Flo pump

19. Back To Top    #19

Have you started raising the CYA level? You want to get CYA up to the 30 to 50 range. You shouldn't be raising FC that high unless you have already started adding CYA.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

20. Back To Top    #20

Added stabilizer this morning to a stocking and hung it in. I had the stabilizer for a few days, but forgot to put it in till I saw it this morning. Hope I didn't hurt anything. Got in the pool this evening with tube socks on and brushed and foot scrubbed, then vacuumed. going to do it again tomorrow. starting to see a little light at the end of a long tunnel.
    Julie

vinyl liner
    Hayward Power Flo pump