New filter????

What do you guys suggest? I have noticed after start up this year that my existing sand filter is leaking out of the top valve....not sure if I'm that interested in repairing it. Thinking that it's old very old and done it's service and to just repair it is prolonging the inevitable that its over it's service life.
I'd like some input as to what I should replace it with. Not looking to blow the bank just want something that will work with some reliability.
The existing filter is a sand filter and is servicing a 16 x 32 pool with an 8'deep end ...I could figure out the approximate gallons but.....had a few beers already and.....lol.....not into it.
As an addendum.... I've read a bit about different types of filters...ie diatameous earth or ??? should I be considering these or stick with a sand filter?

Thanks RR

IMO if you were happy with the water quality with your old sand filter, a new sand filter will do just a good of a job and you'll know the backwash routine etc. For that size pool, you will want at least a 300lb filter.

They each have advantages and disadvantages with no clear winner. Ultimately the advice has been its a matter of preference. What are some of the things you liked and disliked about the old filter. That information would help with suggesting a replacement.

One piece of advice common to all types is to go big. As big as you can fit and/or afford.

*edit*
Wow you mods are amazingly fast. Like dmanb2b said, depending on what you thought of your old filter, another sand filter might just be what you want.

You can probably rebuild the multi-port valve with a go-kit for less than the cost of a few beverages.
PSG is, of course correct. Rebuilding your multi-port can work as the most cost effective. I sense that you are in "new filter" mode, however, so getting a sand filter that you are familiar with probably makes the best choice.

PSG,

Can you describe the "go-kit" a little more?

My pool holds approximately 17500 gallons. I found a good deal on a Hayward S180T Filter which the seller claims to have used it for 5 years...I checked the specs of this filter and they claim it will filter up to 20000 gallons. It , However only holds 150 lbs of sand and in a previous post somebody mentioned that with a pool my size he thinks I should have at least a 300 lb filter.
What say you ? Opinions?

150 lbs will work, but more is better. With filters you want the largest filter you can afford and have room for. Larger filters filter better, go longer between cleaning/backwashing, and are a little more efficient.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dave S
Go-kits are after market rebuild kits manufactured by Aladdin and sold under the Super Pro brand.
While we most often see them for pumps, they are also available for multi-port and slide valves, filters, and chlorinators.
For Multi-port repair, the cost of the go-kits is generally only a few dollars more than the cost of the spider gasket alone.
If it takes 30 minutes to replace the spider gasket, then it is a good investment to spend 15 more minutes to replace the o-rings, gaskets, and seals inside the valve at the same time.
http://www.poolcenter.com/go_kits_by_al ... e_kits.htm

RR
Go-kits are available for some models of Jacuzzi filters.
Parts for the Laser series of Jacuzzi filters are fairly common, but other models can be a challenge.
Parts for older Jacuzzi filters can sometimes be difficult to find and when available they are often expensive.
Maybe it is a good time to replace that filter after all. :mrgreen:

I would be cautious of purchasing a used filter.
The Hayward 180T has only a turnover rate of 16,800 gallons in 8 hours. We often see these on above ground pools or small in-ground pools. You would probably not be pleased with the performance and backwash intervals on your pool.
The minimum size I would consider would be an S210T (200 lbs of sand) with an 8 hour turnover rate of 24,900 gals.
For the money, the S244T (300 lbs of sand) is only $65 more than the S180T.

The Pentair SD60 (250 lb sand) would also be an excellent choice for your pool.

Does your current filter have the multi-port on top of the filter or on the side?

PSG

OK.....I broke down and ordered a new filter....ended up getting a Cooper Ranger 25"....it arrived at my house the day after I left on a 2 week motorcycle trip, lol....good timing! After getting home I installed it and everything seems to be working better than expected :lol:
One thing I noticed yesterday though....when I originally started it up and after backwashing, rinsing ( a few times) the normal operating pressure I recorded was 9.5 psi (solar off) and 13 psi (solar on).....yesterday the pressure dropped about 4 psi, both with solar on and off. I'm assuming this may be because there may have been some sand blocking the filter pipes (new sand installed). Has anybody else experienced this or....???

A couple of things come to mind.

1. A piece of trash clogged a vane in the pump impeller.
2. The multiport valve all of a sudden started bypassing.

Check the return to be sure there's no sand getting back to the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.