Brushing Frequency for Most Pools?

Apr 14, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I know from reading the 'pool school' info that it was recommended to only brush once per week for 'most' pools.

My question is how often do you brush?

In the past I have brushed almost daily. The pool always looks great, but I think I can reduce it and save some time in my busy schedule.

Thoughts?

Doug

I brush the pool once a week. I have an electric safety cover so the pool doesn't get too dirty, but brushing is mostly about wiping off any algae cells that might not be getting exposed to chlorine and to preventing biofilms -- both items that are unlikely with proper FC/CYA levels, but are helpful nevertheless. In our pool, about the only area that ever gets a hint of sliminess is the top of a ramp (see this photo and this photo) that only has about 1/2" of water over it so the circulation there is the worst of any area in the pool.

Since i got my cleaner I have only brushed places that have been in the outer limits of where my cleaner could reach where debris as built up. I do recognize that I probably need to revert back to weekly brushing for added insurance.

If you are pressed for time, brush everything 1X per week and the low interchange areas (top step, ladder steps [top and bottom!] and around the lights, the skimmer mouth and any protrusions into the pool) 2+ times/ week.

It's easier to keep the algae and bio-nasties at bay than to deal with a bloom!

I brush about once a month. On the other hand, I refuse to have a cleaner and manually vacuum once a week--never a bloom or sliminess. We ran our old unlined steel pool and we didn't even own a pole brush for the first thirty years. We just had a hand brush for the ladders.

What's the point of a cleaner if you have to brush all the time? I'd rather vacuum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.