Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brushing Frequency for Most Pools?

1. Back To Top    #1

Brushing Frequency for Most Pools?

I know from reading the 'pool school' info that it was recommended to only brush once per week for 'most' pools.

My question is how often do you brush?

In the past I have brushed almost daily. The pool always looks great, but I think I can reduce it and save some time in my busy schedule.

Thoughts?

Doug

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brushing Frequency for Most Pools?

I brush the pool once a week. I have an electric safety cover so the pool doesn't get too dirty, but brushing is mostly about wiping off any algae cells that might not be getting exposed to chlorine and to preventing biofilms -- both items that are unlikely with proper FC/CYA levels, but are helpful nevertheless. In our pool, about the only area that ever gets a hint of sliminess is the top of a ramp (see this photo and this photo) that only has about 1/2" of water over it so the circulation there is the worst of any area in the pool.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Interesting. I have been contemplating going longer like I said, but at the risk of an algae outbreak, I have avoided more than 2 days without brushing.

Doug

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine gets brushed a couple times a week. But it's not really a methodical brushing each time. Usually I'm outside smoking, so I'll grab the brush and churn things up a bit, or sweep a few leaves into the drain.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Since i got my cleaner I have only brushed places that have been in the outer limits of where my cleaner could reach where debris as built up. I do recognize that I probably need to revert back to weekly brushing for added insurance.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

6. Back To Top    #6

If you are pressed for time, brush everything 1X per week and the low interchange areas (top step, ladder steps [top and bottom!] and around the lights, the skimmer mouth and any protrusions into the pool) 2+ times/ week.

It's easier to keep the algae and bio-nasties at bay than to deal with a bloom!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

I am a solid once a weeker, with suplemental brushing when we are out by the pool messing around. I have 2.5 year old son so we are out there quite a bit.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

8. Back To Top    #8

I brush about once a month. On the other hand, I refuse to have a cleaner and manually vacuum once a week--never a bloom or sliminess. We ran our old unlined steel pool and we didn't even own a pole brush for the first thirty years. We just had a hand brush for the ladders.

What's the point of a cleaner if you have to brush all the time? I'd rather vacuum.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.