sand filter issues-need some help!

May 17, 2011
Just received a call from the caretaker of a rental home I own. Last week there was an algae bloom in spite of ph and chlorine being correct. Did a "super shock" treatment and looks like the algae has died (brownish color instead of green) but the sand filter is not clearing it up. Its a Triton II TR-60, not sure of age or age of sand. Filter is not really gaining pressure, not much coming out during backwashing. In addition, the multiport valve seems to be acting up as there is a flow from the backwash pipe when the port is set to filter.

Seems like this is a good indication that the spider gasket is not working right. Can there be enough leaking past the gasket where it would totally bypass the filter? Or is it likely that there are multiple problems like sand channeling, worn sand, or needing a flocculent for the algae?

He is going to inspect the spider gasket as it seems that it would be wise to replace it anyway. Any thoughts about how to troubleshoot? I am 2500 miles away and can't check on it.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks

Bob

My guy says that is the problem...gasket was all bunched up! Thanks for the confirmation. Another quick question if I may...I understand the gasket needs to be contact cemented in place. If so, any special cement? Or will regular contact cement work?

Thanks in advance

Bob

People have used all kinds of cement to hold the spider gasket in place.

Regular contact cement will work fine. With contact cement, you have to be real careful about placement the first time because there's no moving it once it makes contact. :)

I don't use cement to 'glue' the gasket down!

Unless there is a problem with the channels the gasket sits in, there is no need for it!! If there is a problem with the channels, gluing the gasket in will serve as a 'band-aid' until you can replace the multiport.

However, that's just 20+ years of experience talkin' :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.