Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Test Result TF100

1. Back To Top    #1

First Test Result TF100

opened the pool this afternoon and let the pump run for a couple hours. I just tested the water with my new tf100.

FC - 0
    CC - 0
    TC - 0
    PH - 7.2
    TA -70
    CH - 130
    cYA - 0
    76549 Liters -- Cartridge Filter -- In Ground -- Vinyl -- TF-100 Test Kit -- AquaVac Robotic Cleaner -- UV Sanitation -- Winter Safety Cover -- Installed 2010 -- Southwestern Ontario, Canada

Latest Test Results June 25:
    FC - 6, CC - 0, CYA - 40, CH - 110, TA - 90, pH - 7.5

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Test Result TF100

Your numbers look good. Of course you need to add some chlorine and CYA.

I recommend adding 2 ppm of chlorine this evening and starting to add CYA soon.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

What does your water look like?
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

4. Back To Top    #4

The bottom of the pool has a layer of dirty. The water is clear
    76549 Liters -- Cartridge Filter -- In Ground -- Vinyl -- TF-100 Test Kit -- AquaVac Robotic Cleaner -- UV Sanitation -- Winter Safety Cover -- Installed 2010 -- Southwestern Ontario, Canada

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Your numbers look good. Of course you need to add some chlorine and CYA.

I recommend adding 2 ppm of chlorine this evening and starting to add CYA soon.
    I am going to pick up some bleach tomorrow and add it to the water.

What level should I shoot for CYA, the range says 30-50. Should I aim for 30, 40, or 50?

Just to confirm I am using the Pool Calculator properly:
    CAY from 0 - 50 = 3827g
    FC from 0 - 2 = 2480ml 6% Bleach or 3721 ml 4% Bleach (I thought last time I was at WalMart their Bleach was 4%)

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Easto
    What level should I shoot for CYA, the range says 30-50. Should I aim for 30, 40, or 50?
    I suggest you aim for CYA 40. You can test and adjust after a week or so.

CAY from 0 - 50 = 3827g
    FC from 0 - 2 = 2480ml 6% Bleach or 3721 ml 4% Bleach (I thought last time I was at WalMart their Bleach was 4%)
    Yep, you are using the pool calculator properly
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Easto
    I suggest you aim for CYA 40. You can test and adjust after a week or so.

CAY from 0 - 50 = 3827g
    Yep, you are using the pool calculator properly
    awesome, thanks

8. Back To Top    #8

I added +/- 3000g of CYA. Originally I put it in the skimmer basket ignoring all suggestions in the pool school. The stuff sat in there like mud. I scooped most of it out into a skimmer sock and about 2 handfuls went directly into the water and is now sitting on the bottom of the pool.

1. Should I vacuum this stuff up and let it run through the skimmer, pump, and filter?
    2. I have a CYA ball the size of a grapegruit in the skimmer sock. How long will this, should this take to disolve?

I also added 3.75 L of 4% Bleach. Picked up 5x5L jugs of 4% for $1.99 each. Should get me to 2ppm FC

9. Back To Top    #9

It is best to vacuum up any CYA sitting on the liner.

The CYA in the skimmer will usually dissolve in four to six hours with the pump running, but it varies somewhat.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

I moved the sock of CYA over to a return jet and this was 100x better. I can see the lump of CYA getting smaller and smaller.

Jason, I added 2ppm of Bleach to the pool. What's my next step? When should I test the water again?

11. Back To Top    #11

Starting this evening you just start treating the pool as routine day to day maintenance. In this case that means raising FC to a level suitable for your CYA level. You can assume that CYA is 40 for now, so the day to day FC level is between 3 and 7. For now I suggest that you raise FC to six this evening and see how it does between now and tomorrow evening.