LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2009
Burlington, ON, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
OK..bonehead move of the season (so far).

We've had excessive rain here. Yesterday I woke up to find the water level was well over the top of the skimmer. This was around 9am. My pool has the Jandy Aqualink PDA system and is programmed to come on at 11am. So, at 9am, I switched the multiport valve to waste, turned on the pump manually and lowered the water to below the top of the skimmer. Shut the pump off and went out on errands. (does anyone notice I've missed a step??)

At 130pm, I came home to find the pool about 12" lower than when I left, the pump running merrily away with no water in it, and the pool water level, of course, below the bottom of the skimmer. The filter was still in the 'waste' setting. So, my perfectly balanced water was in the sewer, and I had to add water to get the level back where it should be. Goodbye to perfectly good stabilizer I had just added, salt, chlorine, etc. etc.

Still, this is the first time in 4 years I've done this...and hopefully the last. I hope I haven't taken years off the life of my pump.

Re: Don't forget to switch from 'waste' back to 'filter'...l

Lost a lot less than I did when I moved my multi-valve from recirculate to filter before going to bed. Turns out the spider gasket was messed up and was sending some water to waste. Woke up to a 60% drained pool ... well below the skimmer which must have sealed enough for the water to continue to be pulled from the main drain. :hammer:

Or how about adding water to the pool. Setting an alarm on your phone to remember to shut off the water. Dismissing the alarm. Then forgetting to turn off the water and overflow the pool?..... twice last year!!

Argh!

Doug

I have definitely overfilled our pool a couple times ... once remembering when we were at someones house for a BBQ. Luckily the water runs away from the house and to the palm trees. After a couple times of that, it was decided to add an auto-fill when we did our resurfacing. Problem is now that a leak developed in supply to the auto-fill and I have yet to removed the brick walkway to dig it up and fix it .... so back to setting the timer and hoping to remember to turn it off.

My multi port valve on my Hayward filter did not disengage all the way when I switched from rinse to filter. Thankfully I heard the water running from the backwash line and fixed the problem. Apparently you need to make sure the lever pops into place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.