Greeting from Soggy Ohio!

Apr 11, 2011
Just wanted to say I finally posted on TPF. I have been lurking on this site for the past month, and just wanted to say WOW! :-D the vast knowledge that is here is unbelievable! A big Thank You to all who contribute.

So my story goes a little something like this:

We have had a intex pool for the past 6 years ..started with the 15' and went up to the 18' about 3 years ago.. even added a swg(what a nice tool to have)..So over the winter we discussed going with a permanent pool, around Febuary I decided to look on craigslist for pools and found one my first time looking for $250 but I had to take down, That was fine by me because I had to put it back up too. The pool is a 18' round about 3 years old..so still in very good shape. it came with the pump (1 hp dual speed) Filter (cartridge 250sq ft), child safety ladder, winter cover, and creepy crawly vaccume.. Seemed Like a pretty good deal to me. :goodjob:

The past month or so I have been educating myself on how I was going to tackle this Diy project myself and Have been intently planning my build. I plan on dishing the bottom out about 6" or so and using foam cove(scored gladdon cove for $2 a peice today from the local pool guy today :whoot: ) and discovered I can use foam underlayment(for laminate flooring) for the pool bottom.. its the same thing as happy floor only thinner.. I am not looking for padding but rather a smooth surface. I will also be using it as wall foam. My neighbor sold me his Jacuzzi T.R.I clops filter with 2 sets of filters 1 new and 1 used it is the biggest one in that series..I think it does 600 sq ft.. a little overkill but only cost $30. Today I found 2 2X20 solar heaters for $100 and I ordered my Liner for $160.. All in all i have about $600 wrapped up in what I hope to be a sweet setup.

Now If it would just stop raining already!! The anticipation is killing me, I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to come.. Sadly my backyard is like a swamp and has been for about 3 weeks now..When ever it does stop raining I try to give it a day or two to dry out, only to get hit by another couple days of rain.. Maybe one of these days I will be able to post some pictures of my DIY build. Until then I will just keep lurking and dreaming every day

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

We soggy Ohioans must stick together. My yard is a quagmire as well. Anyway, since you are getting yourself ready to DIY on the pool set up, let me add that you need to invest in a good testing kit. A good testkit will allow you to take full, complete control of your water. I use the TF Testkits TF-100. http://tftestkits.net The owner is a member here. The Taylor kit is good as well. Just make sure to get one with an FAS-DPD chlorine test because the full FAS-DPD chlorine test is very important when shocking and in some other special situations where FC levels go over 5.

Make sure you come back as often as you need to get the kinks worked out

Stay dry :shock:

I see your in Ne ohio.. me too Brook Park to be exact, this weather is killing me.. also I have discovered you need a good testkit throughout this site..thats the next purchase in the next couple of days. I just would love to have some water to test at this point. It looks like I am not going to be able to even start this for at least a week or so :shock:

I am actually in Struthers, Ohio. We are about 5 miles from the PA border and waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy too close to Pittsburgh for my liking :wink: if you get my drift....hahaha....drift...you know, water, pool, drift.... :roll:

Again.Welcome aboard OhioSteve. This place is the best.

Sorry it has been so long since my first post.. what a nightmare this has been.. last week end I got the dish dug out and it was a sloppy mess.. so much rain had that area like a swamp.. to the point of sinking when it was walked on. So i went to rent a roller.. by the time I came back I had puddles forming from ground water :( ... I should mention that there was once a built in pool in this spot that my parents filled in because the liner would float. that was over 20 years ago.. I think there is still water in there..lol. it seems to be dry now and I will finally be able to finish leveling and installing this week end.. I have pictures and plan to post once I have it all done.. hopefully that will be in the next couple of days.. Thanks again for all the welcomes

Reagan, Thanks for the greeting.. I just checked out you build pictures and laughed.. We did the exact same thing to our 18' round index.. we just did a 20x 20 sand pit.. the kids loved it in the spring and fall.. My wife hated it all year because of the constant sand that came into the house. I hated it when I had to dig all that sand out last week for the new pool. hope your pool is all warmed up and ready to go!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support