Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't keep PH down

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't keep PH down

Last year I started the BBB method with great results. For some reason, this year, I can't keep the PH down. Its always around 8.0 and possibly higher since my tester stops to 8.0. I've been following the suggestions from the pool calculator on how much muriatic acid to add, but the PH still goes up. The pool looks great, but know this isn't right. Losing about 2ppm of FC every day if thats any indication of the problem. HELP !

FC 3.0 (normally keep it around 8, I live in Phoenix az)
    CC 0
    TA 90
    CH 250
    Borate 50
    PH 8.0
    cya 70
    Pool size 10,000 AG
    Pebble Tec
    Jandy Cartridge Filter
    Build in 2008
    Waterfall, pop ups

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't keep PH down

Get that FC back up to 8 or so pronto

On the PH issue, TA at 90 is not so high but could be lowered if your PH is climbing. The solution is to reduce TA by continuing to add MA. Try lowering it to 7.2 the next time you add MA. Do you have a lot of water features or run a SWG? As you likely recall, areation or SWG tend to cause PH rise as well.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you have a waterfall, negative edge, or other water feature creating a lot of aeration? Do you have new plaster in the last year? Those are the two things that commonly cause PH to go up.

If you haven't been able to get PH below 8.0, you just need to be using more acid.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Also check the strength of the MA you are adding. It should be 31.45% strength.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

If tap water is high TA, it rises each time you add water. Mine is 340 TA. I add about 2 cups of MA pretty much every time I add chlorine. Sometimes more sometimes less, sometimes I skip because I am lazy but 2 cups MA in 23K gallon pool 2 to 3 times a week. Sometimes I hit it hard and add a lot, 4 cups or more, to drive it to 7.2. Do keep measuring your TA regularly as it will keep changing and that affects how the MA changes pH, quite dramatically.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you for all of your replies.

CC is back up at 8.0. Had it at 3.0 cause I read somewhere reading PH at a high CC level is not accurate. I do have a waterfall that is on when we swim, I guess I have to add MA all the time. As for TA, I could be wrong, but thought I had to keep it from 70-90 since I live in a arid area. The PH is down to 7.6 again, I just don't recall going through this much trouble last year.
    Pool size 10,000 AG
    Pebble Tec
    Jandy Cartridge Filter
    Build in 2008
    Waterfall, pop ups

7. Back To Top    #7

I hope you mean FC everywhere you said CC. Reading PH when FC is 8 is fine. PH readings start to be off a little when FC is above 10, and off significantly when FC is above 18.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School