Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I even need to shock now?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I even need to shock now?

I have been reading these forums and using the pool calculator to achieve better pool water. My numbers were way out of line to start. Right now I have the following results:

FC 3
    CYA 30
    pH 7.4
    TA 150

I don't have a current CC reading here with me. I have been working to lower my TA by running a waterfall and then adding MA to lower the pH. The TA has gone from 250 to 150 right now.
    My CYA was also zero only a week ago but is now within range.
    My water is crystal clear but I have a few very, very small patches of green algae and I also have some light brown staining on the side walls from dirt blowing in and settling over the winter. I have brushed the walls many times.

My question is. Do I need to shock? Do I need to attempt to hold the FC at a certain level, etc?

1) 25,000 gallons
    2) Sand Filter 24"
    3) Inground
    4) Plaster
    5) 2 hp pump on 2'' pipe

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: Do I even need to shock now?

The green algae that you know you have is only gonna get worse. Yes, you should shock. See the Chlorine/Cya chart in pool school for the FC level to Hold and read shocking your pool. Should be relatively easy and quick at this point.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!