Jandy RS6 spa turns itself on

AcoldStArnolds79

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2007
My spillover spa has decided that it wants to run all the time. I have the Jandy RS6 indoor panel with a spa side switch on the spa outside also. Two days ago I noticed the pool was not running when it was supposed to.
The spa was running in the middle of the day. I could not get the spa to turn off from the panel inside. When I push the spa button it says spa off but the spa keeps running. If I go outside to the spa switch on the spa I can turn it off. It stays off for 5 minutes and then turns itself back on.
Once I turn it off at the spa I can go inside and turn the pool filter on and it starts up. However, after a while it switches back to the spa.
I am having to run the pool in service mode for the time being to circulate and chlorinate the pool.
Anyone know what the problem is with this? Had the main board outside replaced about a year ago and the SWG cell also. System is 6 years old.

There is a real chance the spa-side switch is ka-poot. These eventually go bad and water will eventually get inside of them and things start acting real weird. Disconnect the spa-side switch inside the jandy and see if things start working normally.

disconnect it in the panel outside - there's a black (should be) six position terminal bar at the top of the control board where the spa-side switch connects. You'll need a torqx screw-driver to get the front panel off (a flat-tip may work, but a pain) and then a very small flat-tip screwdriver to back off the screws on the terminal bar.

If your system still has the "sticker" on the inside of the power-center door, it should also show the system layout, showing where the black bar is.

OK I have the panel off and see the black terminal bar. It is a six place and has a wire hooked up to each spot. Six wires to six terminals on the black bar.
Which one do I disconnect or do I disconnect them all?

See pict/attachment... it is the middle-black terminal bar. Back of the screws (lefty loosey) about 1 turn, and then pull the cable going into the bar out (if you have some electrical tape, tape the end of that cable so the wires don't dangle and hit something).

Attachments

• Jandy.JPG
    Jandy.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 302
Thats the same diagram on the inside cover of mine with the exception that I only have three terminal bars on top. The spa side bar you reference has Six wires connected, one for each color listed. Are you saying disconnect ONLY the black wire or disconnect all six wires? The red, black, green, white, brown and blue wires?

There's a reset button on this panel also. Is that something to try to reset to factory and clear all settings out that may be corrupted?

Will try. I have six wires controlling spa, spa light, blower and the heater. Don't know which is which though.
I've tried pulling the switch up to see which color wire is coming from which button on the switch but the installer did not leave any play in the wires so I cannot get it up out of the coping far enough to see the wires. Most likely going to have to pull it all out and install a new one soon anyway.
Thanks for the help. Let you know if this works.

It doesn't matter, the wires don't control the spa/light/blower/heater, directly per-se...

All they are are buttons, that send signals to the motherboard when pushed - the mobo holds the programming for which button does what. And the spa-switch is (supposed to be) sealed underneath, so you won't be able to directly tell which wire goes for which button. Right now, all we want to do is find out if the four-button switch is "iffy", so disconnect all six wires.

If the system starts acting normal again, you'll need a new switch. If it still acts funky, we may be looking at a motherboard ($$$$$) problem.

- Jeff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I sure hope not. Had to replace the motherboard last year about this time. It was 5 years old and just out of warranty. Salt cell went out after 4 years. The Jandy rep. that fixes all this stuff really loves to get my phone calls. Trying to circumvent his charges this time.

I was able to get the switch up out of the coping about six inches. You are correct. The bottom is sealed and the wires are encased so cannot tell what goes where.
Does it matter if I get a new switch which wire I hook to which terminal? Like a DA I just disconnected them and did not note where each one was connected. Not sure I can get a new one pulled through the pvc underground anyway. I already gave it a good tug a couple of times and it feels like its in cement. I will make sure I have a fish tape or something connected to the other end when I get serious about trying to pull i through.

If you look at the above diagram, it has color coding for which color wire goes where on the 6-position connector. IF it is bad (things should start working normally), the best way to fish it is from the pad/control panel...

You will cut the switch off at the spa, and tape (reeeaaallly reaaaallly well) the "wire-end" of the new switch to the wire at the spa where you cut the button/switch off - and then just pull it from the pad. But don't do this until you're sure the switch is bad.

- Jeff

I'M HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM, COULDN'T HAVE ASKED THE QUESTION ANY BETTER, (DUSTCOLLECTOR). MY QUESTION IS DO I HAVE TO PULL OUT THE OLD WIRE OR CAN I TAKE A CHANCE AND CUT AND SPLICE A NEW SWITCH IN PLACE ?

JUST GOING YOUR SITE, DUSTCOLLECTOR AND I'M NOT SURE HOW TO PRESENT A QUESTION.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP

So I just searched and found this post. My Jandy RS system has been randomly turning on the spa mode lately.......and then today, the spa air pump (but no spa mode.....just air) turned on by itself. This is only happening once a month, but the spa mode did it this weekend and now the air pump today.

Sound like the same problem?

Mike

Just read through this thread and finally realized what you guys meant by "spa side" control. Its the little 4-button controller you use when you're sitting in the spa! And not something that is part of the main control box.

spa side 4 button switch.jpg

I did what Just-a-PB said and pulled the terminal strip off the main board and pushed it back behind the main board a bit. Turned off the power before I did it -but if you work each side a little at a time with a little flat screw driver, it will slide forward and you don't need to unscrew each wire. Btw, this solved my problem of the spa turning on by itself. So it looks like a need to replace the "spa side" 4-button thing.

header connector on main control board.jpg

Below is what it looks like after I slid it forward and off and set it just behind the main control board.
header connector on main control board unplugged.jpg

So I just searched and found this post. My Jandy RS system has been randomly turning on the spa mode lately.......and then today, the spa air pump (but no spa mode.....just air) turned on by itself. This is only happening once a month, but the spa mode did it this weekend and now the air pump today.

Sound like the same problem?

Mike

I have the same problem and found this thread on TFP. However, on my RS8 OneTouch, another way to troubleshoot this problem without having to open the board is just to lockout the spa side switch controls. You can do this from the Menu on the OneTouch. When I locked out the spa side switch control, my random mode switches stopped. Now I have to order and install a new switch.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.