Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Who installs French Drains?

1. Back To Top    #1

Who installs French Drains?

We need a fairly large French Drain to divert ground water around our pool. I don't have time to do it myself. What type of contractor does these? Where should I start researching to have this done correctly? Thanks.
    20,000 gal., Jacuzzi 250L Laser Sand Filter, inground w/vinyl liner, 1hp pump motor, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Who installs French Drains?

Most medium or larger landscaping companies will install drains. Call around a little and ask for bids.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

You might want to check with a lawn sprinkler company too.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. Let the bidding begin. Our neighbors property drains right into our pool. NICE! We inherited this mess when we bought the house. I would have had the problem taken care of 10 years ago when the pool went it. Can anyone recommend a contractor to do this in the Syracuse, NY area.
    20,000 gal., Jacuzzi 250L Laser Sand Filter, inground w/vinyl liner, 1hp pump motor, TF-100 Test Kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

In our area, your property cannot drain onto a nearby residence. The city would make them correct it. A call to the city maybe in order, or maybe you could talk with the neighbor?
    40 X 26 Free Form Pool with attached 9 X 7 Spa raised 18" with 8 Jets and Spillover, and an Art Rock Waterfall/Grotto with accent rocks, 26,000 gallons
    Intelliflo VF-3050 for Pool, VS-3050 for Spa Jets, VS-3050 for Waterfall/Grotto, Quad DE 80, 400K BTU Mastertemp, Intellitouch i7+3 w/ iS10 10 Function Spa-Side Remote, Intellichlor IC40 Salt Chlorinator, Telephone Remote, 2 Intellibrites for Pool/ 1 for Spa, Solar Panels on 2 story Roof w/ 75% coverage
    Pebble Tec Tropical Breeze Tsunami's Pool Build

6. Back To Top    #6

That's a good point. I just spoke to the town, and they said that if it's not a new drain, and if it's been that way naturally, there is not much I can do except talk to the neighbor and try and work it out with him. I'm not sure if it is a natural drainage situation, or if it was created. There's another guy at the highway dept. that I need to talk to to find that out. If we didn't have a pool, it wouldn't be too much of a problem, because our property would drain ok. The pool blocks everything from draining quickly.

7. Back To Top    #7

If your neighbor is cool, bring him over to show him exactly what is happening. Then go over to his side and find the source. Good luck!
    40 X 26 Free Form Pool with attached 9 X 7 Spa raised 18" with 8 Jets and Spillover, and an Art Rock Waterfall/Grotto with accent rocks, 26,000 gallons
    Intelliflo VF-3050 for Pool, VS-3050 for Spa Jets, VS-3050 for Waterfall/Grotto, Quad DE 80, 400K BTU Mastertemp, Intellitouch i7+3 w/ iS10 10 Function Spa-Side Remote, Intellichlor IC40 Salt Chlorinator, Telephone Remote, 2 Intellibrites for Pool/ 1 for Spa, Solar Panels on 2 story Roof w/ 75% coverage
    Pebble Tec Tropical Breeze Tsunami's Pool Build

8. Back To Top    #8

Weather permitting, digging starts tomorrow am on the french drain. It's actually being installed on our neighbors property, with their permission, of course. Can't wait to see how it works! To be continued.......

9. Back To Top    #9

We actually need to have this done next year due to some cracked drainage pipes that are causing minor wetness in our basement; I'm very interested in knowing how well it works for you. Please keep us posted!
    BBB/TFP/Taylor K-2006 Evangelist!
    6/13 - Installed AG Sharkline Heritage 21'x54" 11K gallons. Hayward 1660s sand filter, Hayward single-speed 1 hp pump; city water. Husband builds, I maintain.
    5/11 - Starter pool 6000-gallon Intex Ultra 16'x48" AG with standard 1500 gph 1/3 hp cartridge filter.