How can I figure out how many gallons my pool is.

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
I know what the formulas are. I used that one time to find my gallons. But it seems everytime I add what the pool calculator is, I always overshoot. Usually has to do with chlorine and I use 6% cholorox, unless it is actually stronger. So today I put in 1.5 to 6 and it say to add 206 ounces of 6%. So I did that, but instead of going to 6, I got to 12. So when I adjust the gallons of water I have to go from 22000 all the way down to 9500 to get the now and goal to come out the same. So is there any real way to figure out how many gallons my pool is. I know 9500 is not even close.

Thanks.

How long did you wait after adding the bleach before you tested the FC?

If its an irregular shape, you need to take areas of the pool and measure them in smaller rectangles and then calculate that way, then add the total together.

frustratedpoolmom said:
How long did you wait after adding the bleach before you tested the FC?

If its an irregular shape, you need to take areas of the pool and measure them in smaller rectangles and then calculate that way, then add the total together.

It was about an hour or so.

Attached is a picture of it.

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 163
To make it simple, I would use the rectangular formula but use average width and depth with the true length. For average width, measure the largest width and the smallest width and average the two. That should be close enough.

For a bit more accuracy, you can first measure the surface area by adding a known quanity of water and measuring how much the water level rises (e.g. 300 gallons will raise the water level 1" in a 500 sq-ft pools surface). Then the only unknown is average depth but that is fairly easy to determine by averaging the known depth at various places.

Ok I am confused. I was tryinig to get my FC from 1.5 to 6. It said on 22000 gallons to use 204 ounces. Since I didnt want to open to things of bleach, I put in one jug. This took my FC from 1.5 to 10. Based off of that it states my pool is 11000. But that just does not seem right to me. Anyone know why this may have happened?

Thanks.

I think there has been either testing, dosing or mis-typed info in pool calculator. *

Okay now, one gallon of 6% will raise FC in 10K gallons by 6 and one gallon of 12% will raise FC in 10K gallons by 12. So, a gallon of whatever % will raise 10K gallons by the %.

You can use this method and your calculator to back into the size/gallons in your pool. It is not perfect, but will get you close.

*Ask me how I know this is quite easily possible :oops:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would give it some time and recheck the FC, maybe late tonight or first thing tomorrow and see how the numbers look then. Everything you plugged into the calculator looks right so I can only assume you got a pocket of chlorine in the pool that you grabbed your test sample from which seems very unlikely, you got a really geat bottle of chlorine or your test is just off.

EDIT: Your pool pic just came up on my work computer, it takes a while here. Anyway, I would measure the pool as a rectangle, that jog in the pool pretty much offsets from right to left. Pool looks more like 16 x 32 which comes out to 17,200G using the 4.5 depth.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.