Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What do I need to hook up my vacuum hose to my skimmer?

1. Back To Top    #1

What do I need to hook up my vacuum hose to my skimmer?

I have an in-ground pool that we inherited when we bought this house, and just purchased a ****-ton of pool equipment. But the last piece that I missing (that I know of) is thing to hook up my vacuum hose to the skimmer.

What is that called? And any place in particular I should buy it (online vs. local pool place)? Are there different sizes? Etc etc.
    22,000 gallon vinyl in ground with Hayward S244T sand filter and Hayward 3/4 hp Super Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What do I need to hook up my vacuum hose to my skimmer?

It sounds like you want a skimmer vacuum plate. You need one that matches the brand/model of skimmer you have.

You can remove the skimmer basket and plug the hose directly into the hole at the bottom of the skimmer, but having a vacuum plate is much better because that allows the skimmer basket to catch any debris you vacuum up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    It sounds like you want a skimmer vacuum plate. You need one that matches the brand/model of skimmer you have.

You can remove the skimmer basket and plug the hose directly into the hole at the bottom of the skimmer, but having a vacuum plate is much better because that allows the skimmer basket to catch any debris you vacuum up.
    Gotcha. How would I find the brand/model skimmer? Should it just be imprinted on the skimmer somewhere?
    22,000 gallon vinyl in ground with Hayward S244T sand filter and Hayward 3/4 hp Super Pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

You can measure the inside diameter of your skimmer. The plate should fully cover the basket but not be so big that it can't fit into the skimmer.

5. Back To Top    #5

You can almost always find a part number of either the cover or the skimmer basket and use that to figure out the model.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Neither the cover nor the skimmer basket had any model numbers that I could find.

The cover mentioned "Letro Thermometer" but that was the only words/letters on anything.

I've attached a few (admittedly bad) photos of my skimmer to see if that helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

And here's the front of the skimmer...
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome to TFP!!

Your skimmer looks like a Hayward so I'd try a Hayward "Skim-Vac" (part # may be SP 1082Z3 ).
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

9. Back To Top    #9

I think that the SP1082Z3 is a 2-inch male pipe thread X smooth vacuum hose adapter.

It might be the SP1106 Vac Plate, which is 7 3/4 inches round with gasket and fits the 7-inch basket.

http://www.americasbestpoolsupply.com/p ... apter.aspx

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/manual25.pdf