AGP Filter Recommendation

Jul 5, 2010
I'm looking to buy a filter for a 5000 gal. above ground pool.

The pool came with the house we bought, and the pool, filter, and pump are all a little over 10 years old. The pool and pump seem to be in good shape. but the previous owner decided to try and repair a drain plug leak on the filter by gluing the drain cap onto the tank. That has been developing increasing leaks in the two years I've owned the pool, and finally just blew off the filter when backwashing, and the threads are destroyed. Also, the filter needs a new multiport valve, as it's in bad shape too.

I'm debating just replacing the tank and cap on the current filter, but that's almost a new filter at that point, so I was thinking of getting a newer filter instead.

The old filter was a Doughboy Media Master 1300 sand filter. I'm thinking of getting a cartridge filter since I've heard they're less trouble than sand (no backwashing!) and they filter the water better than sand.

Are there any recommendations on filters for a ~5000 gal. above ground pool? I'm a complete novice when it comes to where to buy a filter, what brands are good, etc.

Any help is appreciated!

On a 5,000gal pool I would think a 200lb sand filter would do just fine, hayward S210T or pentair. I'm not a cart guy, but what you stated is true except you left out the part where cartridge filter do require periodic cartridge cleaning and can be a more tedious process than backwashing a sand filter. But it does filter better than sand. It's a preference thing, either will do :goodjob:

There are lots of good choices. The Pentair Clean & Clear line is very nice. I recommend getting the largest size you can afford. A larger filter can go longer between cleanings and is more efficient.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.