Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AGP Filter Recommendation

1. Back To Top    #1

AGP Filter Recommendation

I'm looking to buy a filter for a 5000 gal. above ground pool.

The pool came with the house we bought, and the pool, filter, and pump are all a little over 10 years old. The pool and pump seem to be in good shape. but the previous owner decided to try and repair a drain plug leak on the filter by gluing the drain cap onto the tank. That has been developing increasing leaks in the two years I've owned the pool, and finally just blew off the filter when backwashing, and the threads are destroyed. Also, the filter needs a new multiport valve, as it's in bad shape too.

I'm debating just replacing the tank and cap on the current filter, but that's almost a new filter at that point, so I was thinking of getting a newer filter instead.

The old filter was a Doughboy Media Master 1300 sand filter. I'm thinking of getting a cartridge filter since I've heard they're less trouble than sand (no backwashing!) and they filter the water better than sand.

Are there any recommendations on filters for a ~5000 gal. above ground pool? I'm a complete novice when it comes to where to buy a filter, what brands are good, etc.

Any help is appreciated!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AGP Filter Recommendation

On a 5,000gal pool I would think a 200lb sand filter would do just fine, hayward S210T or pentair. I'm not a cart guy, but what you stated is true except you left out the part where cartridge filter do require periodic cartridge cleaning and can be a more tedious process than backwashing a sand filter. But it does filter better than sand. It's a preference thing, either will do
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

There are lots of good choices. The Pentair Clean & Clear line is very nice. I recommend getting the largest size you can afford. A larger filter can go longer between cleanings and is more efficient.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the recommendations and quick replies!