Help Setting Up New Intex

Mar 25, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just filled our new Intex 18x52 and sand is in the filter. I read somewhere to run the sand filter 8-9 hrs, then add salt & jump around in the pool to agitate the salt then run the sand filter 24 hrs. Does this sound right?

Also, the sand filter manual states to run filter on rinse for a minute, problem is it didnt come with a backwash hose. We've thought to use the hose that came with the pool for cleaning the pool & using a clamp, should this work?

You can just dump the salt in, spread it around a little, and then leave the pump running for 24 hours. Actually that is pretty close to what you said :)

The pool hose will work in a pinch, but it is much better to use a backwash hose; as soon as you get a change to buy one.

just remember the backwash water can/will kill grass if you do it enough(because of the salt). I killed the whole side of my driveway when I drained my pool a few months ago and forgot to get the hose out to the street. so get a long hose if you need it

foster400 said:
just remember the backwash water can/will kill grass if you do it enough(because of the salt). I killed the whole side of my driveway when I drained my pool a few months ago
That is extremely unusual. Hundreds of people here backwash salt pools onto the yard and the grass does wonderfully, better than in other areas of the yard that don't get as much water.

im sure it is unusual. I do know that when we would get a ton of rain and I needed to lower the pool I would just drain onto the lawn and the bermuda would yellow and take weeks to recover. In the front where I drained to whole pool(about 2500 gallons was on the grass, rest was on the street) it took about a month to recover. Could have been the amount of water but my yard slopes well and the guy who fertilizes it said it was the salt. who knows that was just what happened to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.