Rusted Intex Frame

StanB

May 13, 2011
Slidell, LA
Hey to Everyone,
I have been lurking for a few weeks and decided to post about a problem I had with my Intex 15' pool.
As can be seen from the pics, the pool frame rusted out in two seasons. I was using the Intex SWCG.
I do not want to make any accusations against Intex, I'll let the pics do the talking.
All my numbers were kept in the safe ranges through out the two seasons. I really do not have
a clue what or how this happened. I'm not looking for any kind of reimbursement from Intex, I just want to let everyone
know what happened and if there is anyone else who may have had a similar problem.
I am in the process of installing another above ground pool (not Intex).
Thanks,
Stan

MiscPics118.jpg

MiscPics111.jpg

MiscPics115.jpg

MiscPics112.jpg

MiscPics110.jpg

MiscPics109.jpg

Holy Batman!
2 years should not do that to the pipe!
Me thinks you got a bad batch of pipe!
Email Intex the photos and ask who what and why!!
Intex Recreation Corp.
Consumer Service
Hours of Operation
8:30am-5:00pm PST
1-800-234-6839
http://www.email.intexstore.com
U.S Sales Office
P.O. Box 1440
Long Beach, CA 90801-1440
Tel: (310) 549-5400
Fax: (310) 513-6905

stanB, that is very weird. i've had my pool 2 years and i have not seen any rust spots anywhere. there are 3 other people on my block that have the ultra frame and i know that 2 of them are starting on their second year as well. everyone is using the SWG except one so i suspect that there is a defect of some kind in the manufacturing. :shock:

The same thing happened to our pool..... not quite as bad as your rust. We looked at replacing the frame and ladder(which broke when I tested it)
and it was almost as much as a new pool. We got a larger ultra frame pool without the SWG pump on sale for about $50 more than replacing the frame and the ladder. We didn't need the SWG pump with new one because we will use our old one. The newer frame had a different kind of locking pin. These new pins didn't stay in place as well as the old ones and caused some trouble when we put the frame together.

Hello all,
I have been concerned with my rust out problem also. My pool will be 1 yr old in June. I have been using the BBB method. How many more are going bad like this I wonder?
I know INTEX will do nothing this late in the game, but it would be nice if they would.[attachment=2:1o788s2k]2011-05-19 20.23.06-1.jpg[/attachment:1o788s2k][attachment=1:1o788s2k]2011-05-19 20.24.50-1.jpg[/attachment:1o788s2k][attachment=0:1o788s2k]2011-05-19 20.24.22-1.jpg[/attachment:1o788s2k]

Attachments

• 2011-05-19 20.23.06-1.jpg
    2011-05-19 20.23.06-1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,720
  • 2011-05-19 20.24.50-1.jpg
    2011-05-19 20.24.50-1.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,626
  • 2011-05-19 20.24.22-1.jpg
    2011-05-19 20.24.22-1.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,623
Our relative had the Ultra and rusted as well, but no SWG. Poor powdercoat job, cheap labor, etc???

Intex will do absolutely nothing about the rust problem.
I just thought I'd give it a shot and see what happens.
Here is the response I received from Intex.

Agent response
On the Above Ground Pool packaging it does state that they are “powered coated” this means that they are rust resistant but not rust free. The service program for manufacture defective parts is good for 90 days from the date of purchase with a copy of the receipt. If your Above Ground Pool Set meets these conditions, please contact an Intex agent for replacement guidelines and information at 800-234-6839. Be ready with a pen, paper and a copy of your receipt, you may be issued a claim for the replacement parts. A claim must be issued by a live agent to obtain replacement parts. Please continue calling and your call will be answered in the order it is received.

No more Intex for me.

Stan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm on my 4th year with my Intex 16' X 48" metal frame pool. I don't use BBB method or the SWG. Just a good shock every 2 weeks. No rust at all on my frame! I haven't even had a leak in the liner, EVER. Guess I'm just lucky. :party: I plan on getting an Ultra Frame 18' X 52" next year. Hoping for similar results.

Attachments

• 109B2627.bmp
    4.4 KB · Views: 1,511
Wow, that's really extreme rust. And we know rust around here... we're born rusty with webs between our feet. I've seen rust like that on a 30 year old IH Scout, but nothing like that even on the unpainted metals we leave outside all year. Certainly nothing like that at all (not even a spot yet) on our 1yo Intex (not Ultra Frame) that sat out all winter. At first I thought... salt. Salted roads contribute to vehicular rust right? But others have no issues so wth?

It sounds to me like someone dropped the ball in the powder coating room. It's too bad Intex doesn't recognize this as a defect and just send you new hardware. At least then you could sell the pool on cl. You might be able to get something for the liner there though.

I'm having the same problem and found this forum looking to see if anyone else had the problem before I sent Intex a letter. Intex Ultra-Frame 16x48 (my fourth Intex pool). This one is now 2 years old, running SWG. See pics:

230DDAC8-FA5D-4D2F-BAD9-B77DC86F01D6-4845-00000F7B20A1C027.jpg

33BAEFE4-DAFA-4438-897B-BBF2E76D4034-4845-00000F7B3C27176B.jpg

A6F7007A-4D85-4629-97E5-6FF7FE77342E-4845-00000F7B54B63223.jpg

Is Intex a member of the BBB meaning Better Business Bureau? Why not send them (the BBB) the pics and your correspondence to date and let them know that your pool is not very old and (probably) not used year round and Intex customer service is lacking. It may get Intex to stand up and take notice. Or write the owner of the company. You would be surprised at what you can accomplish when you talk to the head man (or woman) in charge. Tell them you will never recommend Intex to anyone who asks and even to others who don't ask :shock: and be nice, but firm. No yelling or swearing (been there, done that). Really. The old saying is true. You can catch a lot more flies with honey than vinegar. (I have always wondered who wants to catch flies....but to each his/her own) :p

Good luck. Let us know what happens. :goodjob:

Guess what? Last year, no rust. We put the salt in towards the end of the season, and now the poles are rusted worse than the OP's here. I haven't even used the SWG yet, just salted the pool. We're on year three with this pool and I'm quite sure the salt is to blame. If it was going to rust, one would think I'd have seen it last year more. It may be rainy here, but stuff doesn't rust like that normally. There's a LOT of rusting going on at all the joints and it's thick. I doubt I'll even be able to get them apart if I wanted to replace them.

Man that's alot of rust. I have had an ultra frame for only 4 weeks and is already showing rust (wish I had kept the bill). But I am in the process of taking it apart sanding the rust spots and treating it with some Tremclad rust paint, hopefully it will be better than the cheap powder coat they put on.

Intex pools are so cheap. The factory making the pipes probably sell them for just over the price of the material. I am sure that thier quality control is lacking. Those pipes were probably painted on a rainy day or the last lot beforte they changed the filters in the cleaning tank.

Amit looks
Ike the rust where the liner rests on the tube. Water gets in there and it doesn't dry out. That'd be my guess. We noticed a tiny rust spot on one of our pipes, planning on taking it down this year and Inspecting it closely. going to make sure it is good and dry before putting it away.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.