Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how close is too close for chlorine barrel next to heater?

1. Back To Top    #1

how close is too close for chlorine barrel next to heater?

I'm going to install a 7 gal container for my chlorine injection pump, and would like to set it on the floor next to my heater (between the wall and the heater in my pool shed - see picture), but am concerned about corrosion problems, also I have the combustion air intake close to the heater where I want to put this container, so it might suck any off-gasing right through the heater.
    Would I be better off putting it outside, or could I build a shelf and store the container against the wall above the heater, while I'm at it, is chlorine gas heavier than air?
    Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24' round x 54" Tahitian (Sharkline), 1.5HP Sta-rite Pump, 22" 250lb. sand filter with Zeo-best media, Hayward H250FDN heater, Del Clear Ozonator, SWG or Rola-Chem feeder, not sure?, Trident Automatic Pool Cleaner, 100Watt Nightlighter, Underwater light show and fountain, 2" Hard Plumbed.
    Wishin Isa Swimmin!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how close is too close for chlorine barrel next to heate

If you use a 1 way anti sihpon valve and some form a overpressure protection just in case of pressure build up, you should get very little if any fumes released from your chlorine container, so the only issue would be keeping it far enough away that the heater would not cause it to get too warm and shorten its shelf life. On my setup the overpressure safety is a simple rubber stopper that the clear suction line passed through, help in place by the weight at the foot valve in the tank.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Man I wish I had thought about that big pan like you have. That would make my life much easier in the shed because sometimes water comes in bu the chimney during really windy storms. Hmm, maybe I could put a small one under the heater.
    19.5k gallons in ground, P4 panel with turbocell SWG, 1hp Hayward superpump II, sand filter, Heater low nox 250k btu heater, solar cover on rocky roller

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys, I like the rubber stopper idea, I never thought about how warm it will be next to the heater, I'll have to check that tonight when it's running, I know it gets awfully warm in there when it is running.
    mart242, thanks, I made the pan myself with just a sheet of galvanized sheet metal, and sliconed the seams, it works great for when I have any leaks etc..
    24' round x 54" Tahitian (Sharkline), 1.5HP Sta-rite Pump, 22" 250lb. sand filter with Zeo-best media, Hayward H250FDN heater, Del Clear Ozonator, SWG or Rola-Chem feeder, not sure?, Trident Automatic Pool Cleaner, 100Watt Nightlighter, Underwater light show and fountain, 2" Hard Plumbed.
    Wishin Isa Swimmin!