To drain or not to drain...

mogie

LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2011
Rochester, MN
Hey guys, I am contemplating draining my 24ft above ground pool, which has a vinyl liner, to get rid of some stains that I have been unsuccessful at clearing with traditional methods (vacuum, broom, etc). The stains at the bottom of my pool are in small crater like pockets, which I believe are related to the previous owner failing to pack the soil appropriately before inserting the liner. I have heard conflicting information regarding draining above ground pools with vinyl liners.

Currently my pool is a little less than half full with a fair amount of debris at the bottom. Am I better off draining the pool and attempting to manually clean the bottom with some sort of chemical (recommendations?) or should I clean out the bottom of the pool the best I can with my current water level and hope the conversion to chlorine from baquacil is enough to take care of these stains?

As a side note, I have been using Baquacil since I lived in my house as this is what the prior owners suggested, but I will be converting to chlorine this year.

Are there any certain methods that work well at getting rid of widespread debris at the bottom of the pool, rather than using the typical net connected to the pole?

Thanks for any advice!

Matt

It is common for above ground pools to have small indentions in the floor. The stains are probably organic in nature and should clear up with bleach. I would go ahead and refill the pool and start the chlorine conversion after scooping and vacuuming out the debris on the bottom.

Read the Pool School article on baquacil conversion before you get started.

Welcome to TFP...a leaf rake and 30 minutes of elbow grease will do wonders :goodjob:

FWIW, your pool is likely closer to 13.5K Gals vs 15K. Not a big difference, but just in case you find your numbers to be off a bit after chemical additions, you'll want to estimate pool volume using avg water depth vs pool wall height.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.