Help with my Blue Cloud that is my pool

May 16, 2011
Hi all, Thanks for any help. I have tried to recover my pool from the green monster and I feel I have had success. After maintaining a shock level of 15-20 PPM my pool wen t form green to a cloudy blue. Now I am having fits getting the pool clear. Here are my levels from this morning.

FC = 24ppm (level was held overnight!)
CC = 1ppm
PH = 7.8
TA = 60ppm
CYA = 0
Tested with Taylor Kit K-2006

I have been attaining the shock level using HTH's granulated chlorine, I used this because I had it from last season and I'm not worried about my CYA level getting elevated by it. The pool has been this color for the past 4 days. I continue to shock, sweep and run pumps and backwash when needed.

Pool facts:
15,000 G
Sand Filter
Vinyl Lined

With a CC of 1ppm you need to maintain shock level. Are you sure about your CYA number? If so, you only need to maintain about 10 ppm FC. One thing I'd do is get the CYA up to about 30 ppm. That will help you maintain the FC during the sunny hours. It could be dropping real low or even to zero during the day. Once you get the CC to .5 or less, then we'll consider other things. You can go ahead and check your filter to see that it's working correctly. Not spitting stuff back in the pool, etc.

thank you, thank you for such the quick replies. To RobbieH, Yes the pump has been running 24/7 for the past 7 days while I have been fighting the fight. To Bama, I verified the CYA on 3 consecutive days of test just to double and tripple check. I have a bucket of stabilizer, I will get the CYA up and see if it helps. Should I have a CC of .5 with the CYA level at 30?

I added enough stabilizer yesterday to get me to a CYA of 30. THis morning it tested at just over 20, and while scooping leaves I still had granules that had not disolved yet. Will they go away with more time? Also I got the pool back to shock level again last night(was at 0.5 ppm after a full day in the sun) and it held the level overnight. So I think im on the downhill side of it. I can make out the polaris now as it runs on the bottom, but not the pattern in the vinyl.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you're still scooping leaves out, you have a little ways to go. At this point in the game you shouldn't have any leaves left to scoop out, barring whatever falls in overnight. The rest of the CYA will dissolve slowly over the next few days. Assume it's 30 this afternoon and shock accordingly.

Letting the FC fall that low during the day is going to prolong the fight. I do understand if you have to work, etc. but just realize, that it takes a bit longer that way.

thanks Bama, The leave are completely my fault. I got home yesterday and the pool bottom was visible enough the see mimal color changes at the bottom. I see a big brown spot in the middle. I guess over time of sweeping the pool sides down I never was able to reach the dead middle of the pool!! :) I scooped out several skimmers worth. I know it will help greatly.

Filtration, filtration, filtration! I quick lesson I learnered and found is that people don't backwash there sand filters long enough. To give it a good backwash needs a good 4-5 mins (I know, alot of water!). Many people stop when sight glass is clear, usually a minute or so. (I was a guilty one!) I found by doing that I backwashed less often, and pool has been clearer!

Just my 2 cents. Good Luck!

S-T-THREE said:
I have been attaining the shock level using HTH's granulated chlorine

What's your CH level?

With a moderately high PH and continual use of Cal-Hypo you might expect some clouding. I wouldn't jump to conclusions after only 4 or 5 days (you are still scooping and shocking after all) - but if you're still cloudy in a week and using Cal-Hypo exclusively it's worth looking at.

Follow up, I had to order more refill reagents so not all of my test are complete. I will post them bellow. I can now see the pattern of the vinyl liner at the bottom but I still has a fine green/brown powder that settles. I have the pump still running 24/7 and I continue to sweep hoping if it is algea it will be eaten by the chlorine.

CC, FC = Can't test, waiting for reagent. But using an older kit I see the level is still high. (I know this does not help.)
CYA = 30
PH = 7.2
CH = 600 (I feel that might attribute to the cloudyness I am dealing with.)
TA = 60

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I just want it to not have a fine powder floating around it!! ;-)

Calhypo can certainly be some of the cloudiness, but that said, I think a bottle of POP will do the trick (Pool Owner Patience :lol: ). Sand filters are particulary slow at clearing up a cloudy pool, they'll get the job done but it can take a week or so of constant filtering. Have you tried vaccuming the fine sediment on the bottom that you try to brush?

dman, I have thought about vaccuming, but I hate the thought of voiding that much treated water if the filter can handle it over time. I can live with the powder, I just don't know if the path i'm on now looks good to all here. I will gladly keep it up, but if it's suggested to vaccum I will. Either way, I can deal with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.