Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clear Solar Blanket

1. Back To Top    #1

Clear Solar Blanket

Time to buy a new one, Advantages/disadvantanges with clear cover??
    12X24 Oval AGP +/- 7100 gal
    Clearwater 100 cartridge filter
    Hi-Flo 2sp 1hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clear Solar Blanket

Clear covers transfer heat to the water during the day a bit better than an opaque cover, but they tend to not protect the chlorine from sunlight as much as an opaque cover does.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

**** if you do, **** if you don't. With 8-9 hrs of sun guess i'll conserve the chlorine and go with the good ol' blue cover. Thanks.
    12X24 Oval AGP +/- 7100 gal
    Clearwater 100 cartridge filter
    Hi-Flo 2sp 1hp pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I've had a couple of clear covers and they seem to become brittle and delaminate quicker than the blue. Not sure if its the sun burning off the chlorine under the cover and the end result is the cover deteriates.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mikespoolfl
    I've had a couple of clear covers and they seem to become brittle and delaminate quicker than the blue. Not sure if its the sun burning off the chlorine under the cover and the end result is the cover deteriates.
    It could be a coincidence with the clear cover not having proper UV stabilizers in it, but you may be right that the chlorine breakdown is causing more cover deterioration because such breakdown does produce hydroxyl radicals that could damage the cover. If you noticed the deterioration being mostly on the water-side of the cover (i.e. the bubble-side), then that would explain it. If the damage was mostly on the sun-side of the cover (i.e. the flat size), then it's more likely to be a lack of proper UV-stabilizers.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

All on the water side, you will see little dots floating in the water after taking the cover off (the tops of the bubbles).
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

7. Back To Top    #7

I just experienced that same problem. The bubble side of my solar cover is starting to crack and I am finding small plastic pieces in the pool. Will that cause a problem? Do I need to leave off the cover until I replace it? The cover is about 2 yrs. old.

Thanks!!
    East TN
    13,000 gal San Juan Fiberglass Pool;SWG; GoldLine Pro Logic Controls
    Hayward Sand Filter; Hayward Max-Flo XL Pump;Polaris 380; Hayward ColorLogic LED
    Raypak Gas Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

That's about the life span I have experienced (used almost every day, except July, in a 4 month swim season). I have yet to have one last past season 2 without those darn floating blue dots
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

Are all solar covers about the same? Is there a brand that you would recommend that is a better quality?
    East TN
    13,000 gal San Juan Fiberglass Pool;SWG; GoldLine Pro Logic Controls
    Hayward Sand Filter; Hayward Max-Flo XL Pump;Polaris 380; Hayward ColorLogic LED
    Raypak Gas Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Biggest problem is with the clear covers your skimmer will fill up with the clear bubble parts and you can't see them in the skimmer, I've had times I looked in the skimmer and couldn't see a thing. Pulled basket out and its full of bubble pieces.

11. Back To Top    #11

FWIW: I bought a few 12' Black round covers a couple months ago to aid heat retention/slow CL loss. The water gets HOT directly under the covers, has kept the pool 70+ for about 6 weeks now.

I only went with black because they were on sale...
    33k Gunite, CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, Sta-Rite System 3 DE, 2.25hp dual-speed, POOLVERGNUEGEN Pressure-side

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes, if one doesn't want to go with a clear cover to have sunlight heat the pool (but at the cost of having more chlorine degrade from sunlight), then the next best choice for heating is a dark cover (such as black). However, the ideal for a black cover is for the underside (i.e. bubble-tops) to be black but for the top size (i.e. the flat side) to be clear. This way the hot flat side doesn't have to try and get its heat through the air pockets in the bubbles.

Heating the surface water isn't efficient so if you can point the returns slightly upwards to create a greater surface flow that even "bounces" off the cover, then that would work better. However, one also wants circulation to the bottom so there's really not a great option here unless one has enough returns to have some pointing slightly upward and others pointing downward for a rolling flow pattern.

In my own pool, I have an electric safety cover that is relatively thin (i.e. it's not a bubble-type cover) and I noticed that changing the color from a light tan to a dark blue has increased heating, but only a little bit. Black would heat more since even dark blue reflects a goodly amount of heat.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

13. Back To Top    #13

What about ladders? Does using a solar blanket mean your need to remove all ladders?
    AGP partially buried, with surrounding deck and flower bed. 12 x 24 oval x 48" deep Celebration by Forum. Steel sides, vinyl liner. Hayward 2 HP sand pump. Flower fountain - works well to cool water up to 10 degrees.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by SBax
    What about ladders? Does using a solar blanket mean your need to remove all ladders?
    No. Just trim the blanket so it lays flat around the ladder.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

15. Back To Top    #15

Transparent black covers (such as http://www.poolsupplies.com/covers/tran ... covers.asp) seem to be about the same cost as blue covers with the same mil. It seems they should work better than plain blue, do they? Blue might look better... but I think I'd rather the extra heat if it produces more... has anyone had experience with transparent black?
    18' x 38' x 52" oval AGP with 6' deep end (foam on the walls, preformed coving, and Happy Bottom floor padding)
    Pentair Optiflow 1 HP 2 Speed pump
    Pentair cc200 cartridge filter
    Pentair UltraTemp Model 110 BLK 108,000 BTU Heat Pump
    2 Intex SWG's (copper unplugged)