Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DIY AGP Install?

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

DIY AGP Install?

Well a few months back I started a topic if I could save my liner.. But, that was not close to the issues I was having.. Seems like a mouse dug under the pool and went through the liner which caused the water to drain and the ice just destroyed the walls..

So, I purchased a new 27' round pool.. I called around for installation and they pretty much all want a minimum of $1000 (Not including water) which I thought there out of their minds considering the ground work is done and sand is there.

Question, is it hard to do.. I seen a few video's on the net and it seems pretty easy just as long as you have some help and don't have no wind.. I got about 3 adults and 1 - 16 year old weight lifting buff kid (LOL) to help..

Am I over my head in this???

Thanks.
    17000 Gallons (16x32) Vinyl In Ground Pool
    Sand Filter
    Install "Finish Date" July 30 2014"
    Propane heater installed.. Used for 1 day.
    City Water.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DIY AGP Install?

I think it'd be easy for that many, as long as one of you have a little construction experience. Leveling and initial setup is the biggest part and that's just straight forward, measure and level until you're absolutely sure it's correct.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Its not hard. Even though you are using an existing pool site, be sure to re level before starting the new install. Smooth and measure for level with a transit or laser or water level tool. With that many people and a round pool (easier than ovals) you should get it up in no time. Make sure to install the liner only when it us sunny to insure proper stretch. Post pix of your progress, we love to see them and they will help the next user who is looking to start.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

4. Back To Top    #4

If I can do it 3x's, you can do it once!

I looked into getting my second pool installed and for $500 bucks... NO THANK YOU! I'll do it myself! I just got done putting that same pool up a couple weeks ago at my brother's house.

Follow directions and make sure you're level and have fun saving all that money!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

IM sure with all that help you will be fine, I actually installed mine on my own, well apart from the wife helping with the wall bolts.
    15ft round above ground pool (6600 gallons)
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer

6. Back To Top    #6

I just finished an install but took it a step further I recessed it 24" . Oh yeah and it was a used pool worthless directions and verry little to no help from the kids , it took A few peoe for the wall but all in all take your time level check and recheck it will never be " perfect" but enjoy saving that cash !!!
    18'x33'x52" AGP / recessed w/ Hayward 1.5 hp &150 gpm Hayward Extreme cartridge filter , wide mouth skimmer . TF100 test kit.
    Breaux Bridge La.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Thanks all.. Just waiting now for them to deliver it.. They said 7 to 10 days and im on day 8 right now..
    Sand Filter
    City Water.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Question:... Could I put my Winter cover under my liner to protect it from small rocks.. After getting the ground ready today and leveling it, Mother nature decided to pour which was a good thing because there r a lot of pea size rocks.. So instead of spending a few hours on my hands and knees, I thought of throwing my old winter cover under it.. NO.... YES....??????
    Sand Filter
    City Water.

9. Back To Top    #9

A winter cover is too thin to be of much help with rocks. I'd take a few more days and get a gorilla pad or go to a local big box store and buy some styrofoam insulating board and put under it. The styrofoam will probably be better for rocks.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Purchased a mat from Namco.. Now the flipping weather is not cooperating.. Rain Rain Rain.. Water is being delivered Thursday at 8am and I still need to do the darn liner.. Stupid rain..
    Sand Filter
    City Water.

11. Back To Top    #11

Do you have a shop vac to use to set the liner?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

I just put up my own, obviously followed the instructions, but these videos were great additional resource.

youtube.com, search for "Above Ground Pool Installation Video by www.poolsaboveground.com" and view the 4 videos, labeled 1 of 4, 2 of 4, etc.
    22,833 gallons
    Cartridge
    AG