Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how to remove stains?

1. Back To Top    #1

how to remove stains?

So I opened the pool about 2 weeks ago to a wonderful toxic waste dump. With the help of all the write ups on here Its now clear as can be, and with my new pump and filter (75 sq quad de and a 4x160), never looked better. Except the skimmer, steps and returns all have gone from a crisp white color to a sun bleached yellow. I cant help but think that its is because of the alge and not the sun since it was crisp white when I closed last year and been covered for 5 months. What do I use to bring back the white? Also my liner was just replaced last year, and the sides are still a deep blue, but the bottom seems to have lost some of its color, Did the alge sitting there for 4 months really suck that much color out. Or do I need to get down there with a brush in my scuba gear and scrub some more? Thanks!
    John
    15x30 inground vinyl pool. 1 hp hayward pump, 200 pound sand filter. 8 feet deep in the deepest part. 3 feet in the shallow. 4 returns 2 in the steps, 1 in the shallow end, and one in the deep, 1 skimmer (wish there were 2) and one Main drain. Only thing I wish is I had a more powerful pump, The jets never really put out alot of power. No frills pool. Has a light and thats about it as far as specail features go. BBB user ever since I opened this season thanks to TPF

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how to remove stains?

That sounds like iron staining. Try holding a vitamin C tablet against one of the yellowed areas for 30 seconds and see what happens.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

OK will try that. Do I get one of those at the pool store?
    John
    15x30 inground vinyl pool. 1 hp hayward pump, 200 pound sand filter. 8 feet deep in the deepest part. 3 feet in the shallow. 4 returns 2 in the steps, 1 in the shallow end, and one in the deep, 1 skimmer (wish there were 2) and one Main drain. Only thing I wish is I had a more powerful pump, The jets never really put out alot of power. No frills pool. Has a light and thats about it as far as specail features go. BBB user ever since I opened this season thanks to TPF

4. Back To Top    #4

Vitamin C from the grocery store, a common dietary supplement. You can also get the same thing for more money from the pool store as ascorbic acid powder under various brand names.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School