Stamped Concrete Sealers?

OAKS

Apr 27, 2011
Anyone have any suggestions for a good Sealer to apply to our stamped concrete patio? Looking for something that isn't going to be Slippery When Wet - also looking for a DIY product as the quote that I received the other day was for $2.00 per sq ft - I have 2200 square feet so that isn't really a good option for me...

Thanks

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

For our troweled (not stamped) concrete, we use Glaze 'N Seal Multi-Purpose Clear Sealer (with a fact sheet here) every year as recommended by our concrete installer. It is a little slippery (not very much) for about a week, but is then fine. Our concrete area (partially shown here; areas not shown include two ramp/walkways and a small patio area) is 1470 square feet taking around 7.5 hours at $300 labor and $43 in materials this year (last year was $400 total). It's around $45 per gallon (so the $43 in materials was probably for one gallon purchased at discount). We have a painter do it at around $40/hour and she is also the one who re-stains our exterior shingles every 3-5 years. This is in Marin County, California so I would say you are definitely getting a rather ridiculous quote. Note that the first time is more expensive since it uses more sealer, but even so I wouldn't expect it to be more than 50 cents per square foot tops.

Our painter uses a power washer on a low setting (have to be careful not to chip the concrete) to clean the concrete first, though you could probably do it with a hose nozzle plus some rubbing as needed. Then wait until the next day for the concrete to dry (so you should do this when the weather is sunny but preferably not too hot -- can't do it in rainy weather, obviously). Then apply the sealer in a thin coat. Our painter is still experimenting with different applicator tools each year, getting more efficient each time. The first time may require two coats or at least will use more sealer in one coat (I believe it took 3-4 gallons), but subsequent years won't need as much. You need to wait another day for it to dry before you put furniture back and walk on it.

You can use pretty much any sealer, and apply a Polymer Grit to add traction. It is actually mixed in the sealer and applied by a roller or sprayer (however you would typically apply your sealer). Most concrete supply companies have this product which is often used on stamped concrete pool decks, and other steeper and more slippery concrete surfaces.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.