Quick question on the electrical side of things...

NullQwerty

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
Hey folks,

I’m purchasing a Compupool Salt Generator system. One thing that I am confused about is with the wiring. Currently I have a 20 amp line that goes to 2 power plugs/receptacles (to plug things in). Then I also have a 15 amp line with a timer attached, that’s dedicated and hard wired to the pump.

Which power line would the Salt system be attached to? If it’s my 20 amp line with the power receptacles, I won’t lose those plugs, right?

Thanks!

Called the electrician and it's a little more complicated to switch to 230 because my timer doesn't support it, so it would have to be switched out. With that in mind, I'll stick to the 115.

So, with that in mind, got one more quick question. If you have a quick moment, could you just take a quick look at Steps 8 and 16 on this link:
http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/how_ ... rator.aspx

That link is a sample installation for the salt water system (I'm sure there is more than one way). One thing I noticed though was that their timer had more wires connected than mine and they seem to use those extra wires. I attached a pic of mine to show you what I am referring to (Looks like mine has 3 or 4 connected wires, where as their's has 7 or 8). Before I placed the order for the system I wanted to check with you guys to see if you think the installation is still possible.

I think it is. Seems like maybe what they're doing is connecting both the pump and the salt water system directly to the timer. But from what I understand it should be possible to connect just the salt water system to the timer, and then the pump to the salt water system. Do you agree? The other concern with that is that I know the compupool accepts a plug for the pump, but with this setup that I'm describing, I'd need to hardwire the pump to the compupool. Is that definitely possible?

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• IMAG0042.jpg
    IMAG0042.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 83
There are two ways to hook it up, either you use an external timer and both the pump and the SWG get power from the timer. Or, you don't use an external timer, the SWG is wired to power and the pump is wired to the SWG. Since you already have a timer and are familiar with it and the pump is already wired to it, I would just connect the SWG to the output of the timer, as shown in the instructions you linked to.

The instructions show a 230 volt timer, which switches both of the hot wires. For 110 volts the neutral wires are simply wired together and only the hot wire is switched by the timer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ahhh...ok. I thought those extra wires were an extra dedicated power line that was run. Since my timer is in my basement, running an extra line isn't really possible. Didn't realize it was just cause of the 230 though. I'm gonna have the electrician do the electrical install (I do all home improvements except electric that isn't basic...like replacing power receptacles), but just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to lose my timer in the process.

Awesome, thanks as always!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.