What should I do??

Sep 14, 2010
East Texas
I have a 36K gallon pool that I built 27 years ago and have decided to go to a swg. I have been using BBB for several years but am tired of lugging bleach.

My problem is that the Hayward Aqua Rite is to be here tomorrow and in my haste I decided to go ahead and add salt to the pool last Wednesday. I did not have a test kit, but downloaded the manual for the swg and decided to put 160 pounds less than the manual called for. I did order a Taylor drop kit and received it on Saturday.(Okay I know I should have waited) When I tested I had 4000ppm. I know the only way to lower salt is replace water, but I hate to lower a perfectly balanced pool.

What are the problems with running the cell with high salt? If we ever get any rain, the salt level should take care of itself and eventually come down on its own. I suppose I could go ahead with the install and just not turn it on until the salt comes down. What would you do?

Thanks,
Mark

The controller will run and produce salt a variety of ranges. The ideal range of the unit is 2700- 3400ppm (per the manual from Haywards Website). I guess my question is how did you test it? You will generally see a big difference in test strips/pool salinity tests versus the actual reading from the unit. Leave the filter running to thoroughly mix the salt which could take a couple days to fully mix in and stabilize.

Worst case is if the unit wont generate lower the water a bit and refill. I would wait however, until the unit is installed and see what readings the unit sees.

Installed the goldline night before last and the first instant salt reading was 4000 just as the drop test had showed.

After settling down it was showing 3800. I checked the chlorine yesterday morning and had 6fc and again this morning and had 7fc. :) I do still have a floater with tabs in just to use them up and get a higher stabilizer level.

I guess the Aqua Rite is not too unhappy with the higher than recommended salt level. No high salt led and unit working fine. I am a happy camper so far.

Thanks for the replies to the op.

Mark

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.